News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

More RAM...

Started by Max, January 12, 2018, 09:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max

If someone could help me find 4mb of RAM for my Sharp X68k Pro Model II, I would be grateful for the rest of my life :) :)...As mine has 2mb I'd really like to upgrade it and have an almost perfect system...!
Thanks in advance

cheers

hyrulebr

Hi Max

Did you tried Yahoo auction Japan?

You will find there. You can use a proxy bidding of your choose to buy. I use From Japan but there is a lot others. :)

Max

Quote from: hyrulebr on January 12, 2018, 10:28:46 PM
Hi Max

Did you tried Yahoo auction Japan?

You will find there. You can use a proxy bidding of your choose to buy. I use From Japan but there is a lot others. :)

Hey mate I have never used that channel but it is supposed to be in Japanese only for whom I may know...but I can try....
tks :)

hyrulebr

First choose a proxy bidding:

https://www.reddit.com/r/malefashionadvice/comments/3ltryp/proxying_from_japan_an_introduction/

Read all the rules.

Open an account and deposit some value to be ready when the memory apears.

After all set, you have to keep looking Yahoo auction to find your memory. "Things" for X68000 are listing in a daily basis so always keep looking.

I've just take a look now and the only memory I find is for X68030. But I saw 3 or 4 board in the end of year. Just keep looking and you will find.

To search, you can just type X68000 and look for everything X68000 related (not that too much - 326 item in 17 pages and for me is a pleasure to take a look in all this crazy stuff  :P)

https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/search/search?fr=auc_top&p=x68000&oq=&auccat=0&tab_ex=commerce&fixed=0&sc_i=&ei=UTF-8&b=1

and them you can just update what's new. (select new arrival order). About japanese, chrome translate the page automatically to english or any language you prefer.

I also recommend you to know what is compatible or not with your computer:

https://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68000:x68000_faq

Let me know if you need further help.

Max

Ok, I'll try it and check compatibily too....
many thanks for your suggestion

Max

I'm having a look now..Do I create my account on the first website you posted the link about?...or on yahoo auctions directly....just to be sure!!

repoMan

No Yahoo auctions, deal only with the proxy...and double-check their conditions (specially fees)

Max

Quote from: repoMan on January 13, 2018, 06:59:02 AM
No Yahoo auctions, deal only with the proxy...and double-check their conditions (specially fees)

ok, I'll do....
tks :)

Max

it seems hard to search for it on yahoo auctions....then most the product about sharp, I mean hardware seem actually to be junk....hope to find someone here who can sell me at least 2gb of ram, it'll be enough for all the games

leonk

some X68K need 2mb before you can use the memory cards.

my original x68k comes with 1MB factory. I added another 1MB via internal addon card. then added 8MB via memory card that sits inside expansion port.

Max

Quote from: leonk on January 14, 2018, 07:26:23 AM
some X68K need 2mb before you can use the memory cards.

my original x68k comes with 1MB factory. I added another 1MB via internal addon card. then added 8MB via memory card that sits inside expansion port.

I have just noticed that on the main menu of the scsi2sd it says 2mb of RAM ( the guy who sold me that reported me this right amount of RAM) so I can upgrade it without any issues so the problem seems to find 2mb to add in order to have a very good machine able to play all games.....I need someone to sell me, anyone who wants to get rid of some extra memory and able to give me only 2mb...look forward to...

hyrulebr

Quote from: Max on January 14, 2018, 04:53:15 AM
it seems hard to search for it on yahoo auctions....then most the product about sharp, I mean hardware seem actually to be junk....hope to find someone here who can sell me at least 2gb of ram, it'll be enough for all the games

Be patient. I've just take a look and there is no memory right now. You have to continue to look for days or even months...

Max

Yes I know...I'l keep having  a look at it...anyway if you have any news about, pls let me know....since the steps to proceed with the purchase are not so familiar there and once I have found it just want to make sure everything will turn out for the best....I have never used japan auction sites ...

Max

Big question: someone told me that he might sell his unit Expert cz612c at a low price....it has 2 mb of ram, as I have just checked in the ram list and ti seems to be the same for my Pro II, would it be possible to remove that and add to mine so to join a total of 4mb that is what I want.....?
Then I take the rest as a spare Sharp and with its  parts too due to fact that it has just been recapped and renewed from a Tech/elettr point of view...PSU, battery etc...

kamiboy

No, X68000 onboard memory is non-removable. Only the extra 1MB internal upgrade memory modules for stock 1MB machines are removable, but they are specific to a model. You cannot use one from the tower models inside a PRO. You will need a PRO specific 1MB memory upgrade module to begin with. They are not easy to come by.

vanpeebles

I used buyee.jp as a test out to buy an x68000 magazine from yahoo auctions jp. Worked fine, but it does cost you. To browse it easier, use chrome and turn the translation on (Japanese to English), and just search for x68000, then trawl through :)

SuperDeadite

Quote from: kamiboy on January 15, 2018, 06:08:39 PM
No, X68000 onboard memory is non-removable. Only the extra 1MB internal upgrade memory modules for stock 1MB machines are removable, but they are specific to a model. You cannot use one from the tower models inside a PRO. You will need a PRO specific 1MB memory upgrade module to being with. They are not easy to come by.

Actually the Pro and Ace use the same 1mb upgrade board.  But, the metal bracket used to mount them securely is different.  If you buy one for an Ace you can simply unscrew the bracket and use it in a Pro, just don't shake it around as all the weight will be on the connector.  The OG 1mb board however is unique.  But if I am understanding the op, his Pro already has 2mbs, he just needs to buy a standard I/O board as he wants 4mbs.

Max

thanks mates for your opinions here....I think I had better search for a 2/4mb ram module patiently....I thought I could use buyee.jp....I'll keep looking for and keep me updated if you can see sth good.....I wouldn't miss it!!

hyrulebr

Something to help you:

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/p589795838

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h299542494

Both listed as JUNK. So please know that you are taking some risk here. But I bought board in the same state (JUNK) and everything was fine. Read JUNK as NO TESTED WITHOUT GUARANTEE (could work or not).

Max

Quote from: hyrulebr on January 16, 2018, 02:24:32 AM
Something to help you:

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/p589795838

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h299542494

Both listed as JUNK. So please know that you are taking some risk here. But I bought board in the same state (JUNK) and everything was fine. Read JUNK as NO TESTED WITHOUT GUARANTEE (could work or not).

really tks mate...some questions: I have subscribed to buyee and keep looking there but here on auctions japan do I have to join in the site as i did for buyee or do sth else?.Moreover which average price would you suggest me  for the ram?...You have just written that junk is meant here as not tested, is it most of times this way so it could work or in your experience most of junk are actually faulty?...sorry for bothering you with all these questions but as I'm a noob here on Japan matters I must know everything.... :) 8)....anyway really really tks for your interest I appreciate it a lot....

repoMan

I really like the SH-6BE-2/4M boards, they're "stackable" and are compatible with basically every X68000 (I have one in a X68030 and is not listed as compatible :) ). The XSimm10 is a bigger upgrade if you populate the card with the right SIMMs; but for your needs is a bit overkill.

About estimated prices, a quick and fast reply: let's say around 5000JPY for the first one and no less than 10000JPY for the second. The seller is a very well-known auctioneer with very good reputation so usually their items get some extra amounts of money. Good for him, bad for you.
I agree that junk items like these usually work; but it's always a risk and you can be the first...:(

hyrulebr

Quote from: Max on January 16, 2018, 04:35:34 AM

really tks mate...some questions: I have subscribed to buyee and keep looking there but here on auctions japan do I have to join in the site as i did for buyee or do sth else?.Moreover which average price would you suggest me  for the ram?...You have just written that junk is meant here as not tested, is it most of times this way so it could work or in your experience most of junk are actually faulty?...sorry for bothering you with all these questions but as I'm a noob here on Japan matters I must know everything.... :) 8)....anyway really really tks for your interest I appreciate it a lot....

You don't have to open a Yahoo Auction account. Even if you try it will be very difficult since will require a japanese address, etc.  You will use Buyee account in YAJ. You have to read Buyee guide:

http://buyee.jp/help/yahoo/guide

Here is the list of past auctions in YAJ for memory. Please see that just 2MB are around 5000y as Repoman pointed. 4MB passed easy 10000y.

https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/closedsearch/closedsearch?p=X68000%E7%94%A8+%E5%A2%97%E8%A8%ADRAM&ei=UTF-8&oq=&auccat=0&tab_ex=commerce&fixed=0

Max

Max

anyway the word "service" and "junk" next to the ram description make me be at a loss though.....once purchased just guess if put into my sharp does not work at all.....I'd be very very sad.....

Max

one great question/doubt: I have just performed a boot and went on switch.x, I notice that at the ram setting the value is set to "no use" and I have never changed it so far so i thought, if I change this setting and put it on "ramdisk" or "program" ( only these 2 choices are possible) what would it happen? May I realise at last if my ram battery is still working and it was just a setting matter?....I' m asking you that because only now I have spotted it and before proceeding and change the ram battery along with its holder that it will be hard work, I want to make me sure about......
thanks for your reply.....

Ps: I also noticed that in the switch.x menu the setting remain the same, that is I do not have to change any row at the boot line etc....but the clock is set back to 2016 though....

repoMan

I'm sure you'll find this Switch guide useful :)

Max

many thanks repoMan I'll have a look at it for sure!!....anyway once I boot I notice that the amount of memory detected is 2mb so as the X68000 does not automatically detect the amount of RAM that is available but I always find it there while on Switch.X does it mean the battery ram is not so down?....Then I'll proceed with other settings and attempt to verify it.....before using my soldering iron.. :-\

Max

Just to finally check and change the battery I need to make a final attempt and verify if it is really down so who can tell me how to move up-down on the scsi2sd game menu screen in order to change time on top of page? I have no issues moving on the bottom part choosing folders etc but I cannot go up and set lines....
Thanks

leonk

Typically in DOS, one uses the "date" command on the command line to adjust it.

Not sure about X68K.  If your machine requires the SASI bootloader to function, and you keep the machine unplugged for a couple of hours, you'll quickly see if the SASI bootloader shows up or not.

repoMan

I don't usually care about the date/time displayed. When I want to check a battery is supplying enough power I simply change any other "BIOS" value, like "Contrast" for example, and after saving it and waiting until the next day, if it's still present I'm 100% sure it's working again :)

Max

Quote from: leonk on January 27, 2018, 02:16:15 AM
Typically in DOS, one uses the "date" command on the command line to adjust it.

Not sure about X68K.  If your machine requires the SASI bootloader to function, and you keep the machine unplugged for a couple of hours, you'll quickly see if the SASI bootloader shows up or not.

I noticed the bootloader shows up but I need to repeat the procedure if I want to use my scsi2sd, I'll try to keep the X68K turned on for a longer time so to actually check if the battery still recharges a bit since if play for some time and then I switch it off for short time, then when I turn it on again the system sees immediately the scsi2sd and boot it...

Max

Quote from: repoMan on January 27, 2018, 03:22:34 AM
I don't usually care about the date/time displayed. When I want to check a battery is supplying enough power I simply change any other "BIOS" value, like "Contrast" for example, and after saving it and waiting until the next day, if it's still present I'm 100% sure it's working again :)

I'll do it! Tks :)

Max

Here I am again after some checks and as repoMan suggested me I changed the contrast to 15 and after two reboots in 2 different days keeping the machine plugged to the power with only the red light led on during the night  it sill maintains the settings the next day and the scsi2sd starts immediately again. So mates, what's your opinion about it, I think at the moment I can claim the ram battery works as maybe it needed time to recharge properly.....

repoMan

The battery seems to keep the settings for a short period of time; but don't trust it, it must be too old to work fine for a long time with the machine powered off.

Max

Quote from: repoMan on February 04, 2018, 01:11:47 AM
The battery seems to keep the settings for a short period of time; but don't trust it, it must be too old to work fine for a long time with the machine powered off.

I have been checking it so to decide what to do in short....now I have both new battery and its holder just in case I want to replace it!! :)