News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

Monitors-LCd etc...

Started by Max, January 08, 2018, 01:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max

hey guys I need your help to find a TV-LCD or Monitor which can support the wide range of x68000 games, I mean I  own an old pc monitor and I am able to see 31mhz games but no way to see those which support only 15mhz so I'm here to ask you for some good models that work great ( and where to be found) in order to accomplish my mission on the display side :)

Thanks in advance

hyrulebr

I have 2 compatible lcd monitor.

But you can see that both are missing the buttons labels in the botton and there is not way to solve that.

Black one is Sunray 170 (it's a thin client but have an external video in)
https://www.cnet.com/products/sun-ray-170-ultra-thin-client-all-in-one-0-gb-lcd-17/specs/

White one is NEC AccuSync 71V 17"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbIrNzV_k_E

That guy loved it.  :D. I bought mine in november brand new in box for US$ 39.99.

But I cannot find a way to srink image vertically and dont miss the upper or botton of screen. It's better than Sunray (permits more vertical position adjustment) but in compensation didn't work with FM towns in 15hz mode (Sunrays works...).

Please understand what I not talking about video quality. It's good but I'm a CRT guy and cannot serious play on these monitors.

Max

thanks for suggestions!!!!!.. :)

repoMan

I agree with the NEC, I've also the 71VM and works great. It's slightly more compatible than a BenQ that also displays 15Khz; but fails to work with all my X68K models.

The vertical adjustment is a plague that all monitors seems to suffer. I've never found an LCD capable of shrink vertically the picture enough to fit in the screen :-(

Max

thanks repoMan for your tips too!

Max

Quote from: hyrulebr on January 08, 2018, 02:50:00 AM
I have 2 compatible lcd monitor.

But you can see that both are missing the buttons labels in the botton and there is not way to solve that.

Black one is Sunray 170 (it's a thin client but have an external video in)
https://www.cnet.com/products/sun-ray-170-ultra-thin-client-all-in-one-0-gb-lcd-17/specs/

White one is NEC AccuSync 71V 17"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbIrNzV_k_E

That guy loved it.  :D. I bought mine in november brand new in box for US$ 39.99.

But I cannot find a way to srink image vertically and dont miss the upper or botton of screen. It's better than Sunray (permits more vertical position adjustment) but in compensation didn't work with FM towns in 15hz mode (Sunrays works...).

Please understand what I not talking about video quality. It's good but I'm a CRT guy and cannot serious play on these monitors.

I have been looking for a good one now for a long time, mine too has the same issues you reported with yours but I guess if there is a model which can display the whole screen menu...what about this model : NEC MultiSync LCD1970NX 19" LCD

leonk

i thought there was a software hack to change vertical size that would show all screen on LCD.

repoMan

Maybe reprogramming CRTS registers...

Vertical timing control
Address   Size   R/W   Name   Description
$E80008   1.w   W   R04   Vertical total
$E8000A   1.w   W   R05   VSYNC end position
$E8000C   1.w   W   R06   VDISP start position
$E8000E   1.w   W   R07   VDISP end position

...but no idea if there's already a tool to access these registers from command line or you need to code something.

Max

Quote from: repoMan on January 14, 2018, 07:25:28 PM
Maybe reprogramming CRTS registers...

Vertical timing control
Address   Size   R/W   Name   Description
$E80008   1.w   W   R04   Vertical total
$E8000A   1.w   W   R05   VSYNC end position
$E8000C   1.w   W   R06   VDISP start position
$E8000E   1.w   W   R07   VDISP end position

...but no idea if there's already a tool to access these registers from command line or you need to code something.

good questions?..I have no idea, either anyway most lcd monitors seem to suffer from the same problem of shrinking the screen vertically and I ahve tested 2 of mine so far with same results.... :'(

JulBS0

Hi everyone,

As repoMan guessed, it is related to the vertical timing registers.

Neill Corlett made some years ago a little utility program called lcdfix which overrides the IOCS _CRTMOD handler and allows you to use custom values for each CRTC register for each display mode, based on values stored in a .INI file.

You can download it on the X68000 Software Archive: https://nfggames.com/X68000/Mirrors/Neill%20Corlett/x68lcdfix.zip

Simply put, you just have to run lcdfix.x and then launch your games, and if the game uses the "official" way to change display mode, the whole image should be displayed on screen.

You might need to tweak the .INI file a bit depending on the pickiness of your monitor.
And if I remember correctly, lcdfix doesn't change the current display mode when you run it: do not expect the Human68k prompt to be displayed correctly right after, launch a game and see if it works.

mez

hey thanks JulBS0 !
i didn't know this program, will try it asap

repoMan

Yep, thanks!, looks like a great tool!

hyrulebr

Max

spud

Quote from: repoMan on January 12, 2018, 04:59:19 AM
It's slightly more compatible than a BenQ that also displays 15Khz; but fails to work with all my X68K models.

What BenQ monitor are you talking about? And doesn't it work at all with none of your X86ks or not with all, i.e. it works with a few.

I have a BenQ BL912 and it doesn't work with my ACE HD. (The X86k works, as I have image on a different screen)