VHD 3D glasses - compatible?

Started by samaron, December 06, 2017, 05:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

samaron

Hi!

Got a bit intrigued that the X68000 has a 3D output. I already own two 3D glasses for a VHD video player (they have a 3,5mm stereo jack). Before I hook them up to the computer, I just wanted to double check that the pinout was the same as the adapter described in forum posts on this site. Tip is 5 volt, ring is right shutter control and sleeve is ground. My understanding is that right shutter control is to be used.

When I connected a stereo cable to my VHD player to measure the pins, I didn't get 5 volt with any combination. I only got something like 0,1 volt. Found it to be a bit odd, so I connected my glasses to verify they work. When the movie started, the glasses started to flicker, so I'm fairly certain they work fine.

When I plug the adapter into the computer, I get 5 volt on the appropriate pins (at least according to the pinout descriptions posted here).

Do anyone know if VHD 3D glasses are compatible? Could've been some poor connection or something when I measured, though I did try to make sure I had proper contact. I just find this really odd.

vanpeebles

Are they the same as the famicom or master system glasses?  :)

samaron

That I do not know. Never owned glasses for Nintendo or Sega consoles. I could snap some pictures later.

SuperDeadite

Master System/Famicom/LaserActive/VHD glasses will all work when plugged into a suitable adapter.  The Famicom adapter is used by most as it's cheap and easy to mod.  I've never talked to anyone that has made their own adapter, but it should be possible.

samaron

Didn't have time to look into the matter further yesterday. I were thinking that the 3,5mm jack I used to measure the voltage probably didn't make proper contact. The connector seemed a bit wonky. I'll open up the machine and try to locate proper solder points.

Worst case I could probably just connect it and hope for the best. They're not that expensive (1000 yen or less), but would be a shame if I did fry it.

samaron

Looked a bit further into this now. The way I wired it didn't appear to work. After searching for technical information on Master System glasses, it said the signal is AC and is wired with left, right and ground. So I rewired my adapter with left on the tip (from pin 3), right on the ring (from pin 2) and ground on the sleeve (from pin 5). This didn't work either.

On my VHD machine I can see the shutters turn darker and start to flicker when a movie starts, if I shine a light through them. This does not happen on the X68000.

Perhaps something I'm missing?