Help to clear Sram and get ride of bootloader [solved]

Started by hyrulebr, November 04, 2017, 11:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hyrulebr

Hi

I only have my X68000 for 3 months and I'm still learning how to operate it. Well, sometimes I make some mistakes in the learning process...

My X68 is a super with a SCSI2SD set as ID3
switch.x was also set to boot do ID3
and my scsi ID is 7 as default

I wanted a way to transfer files to X68000 and followed the guide here using windrv,  transfer to V4 image some files using XM6. It worked but I was getting some write error when I tried to rename, delete or edit batches directly in X68000.

So I read this post and think "maybe the problem is that I should set bootflags for this new image!"

http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=6039.msg41628#msg41628

I made everything including the bootset.x part  :-[

But bootset.x installed a bootloader (SASI) and my scsi2sd cannot be readed anymore. Since I left switch.x to boot from ID3, I cannot boot from floppy (I have street fighter II and in the past I used disc 0 to boot to human without SCSI2SD) I only read this warning after the mistake:

Type switch.x and make sure that BOOT is set to STD. It will ensure that your computer will first try to boot from floppy disk. Now reboot from master floppy and type the following command.

http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68000:hard_drive_on_sasi_machine

Now I'm doomed. I can't write a floppy in windows with CLR_SRAM program (and how I will make it to run since it booting direclty to bootloader?)  and X68k super cannot clear the SRAM just holding CLR button. I tried now to take off the CR2032 for 5 minutes (I replaced it to a brand new battery after) but botloader still there. Now I will left the system without battery for hours to see if SRAM is gone.

Any ideas how to restore my X68000? Are SFII disc 0 enough to boot or I will need a complete Human disc?

hyrulebr

Well, it worked. After a few hours without battery the SRAM was cleared. Not more Bootloader screen.

But my SFII disk 0 ins't working anymore. I can't believe because I used it a few days back but now or the disc are ejected (and got the message to insert the correct disk) or once in a while a message telling that Human.sys is broken and also asking to insert the correct disk.

I'll try to get a working disk here in Brazil... I only hope that my floppy driver still working...

SuperDeadite

If switch is set to boot from HDD, you can always force the system to boot from floppy by holding down the Opt. 1 key.

hyrulebr

Quote from: SuperDeadite on November 06, 2017, 07:33:32 PM
If switch is set to boot from HDD, you can always force the system to boot from floppy by holding down the Opt. 1 key.

Hi Superdadlite!

Always saving me!

Do you know if any retail game (first disk) have the switch.x inside? 

With "std" option (I cleared the SRAM), there is a boot sequence like if not floppy found they try to boot from SCSI id0? I could try to change scsi ID for SCSI2SD...

Thanks

hyrulebr

I think will not work but I will try anyway.

From SCSI2SD compatibility:

http://www.codesrc.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=SCSI2SD_V5_Compatibility

Sharp X68000
SASI models supported. See gamesx.com for information on building a custom cable.
needs J3 TERMPWR jumper
******Set to SCSI ID 3. ID0 will not work.********

hyrulebr

ID0 didn't work but took advantage and update SCSI2sd firmware.

There is a key to hold to try another scsi ID to boot?

SuperDeadite

I don't even understand what you are trying to do.
Why are you talking about SASI?
Your first post says you have a Super.
Super is true SCSI.

When Boot is set to STD, it first looks at the floppy drives,
then checks ID0, and moves up the chain looking for a bootable drive.

I use 2 flash cards myself:
Internal:  Aztec Monster on id0
External:  Power Monster II on id1

The system will boot from Partition A or B on id0 and then mounts my external as drive C.

I have never used a SCSI2SD.

hyrulebr

Quote from: SuperDeadite on November 08, 2017, 11:56:09 PM
I don't even understand what you are trying to do.
Why are you talking about SASI?

Please forget about SASI. I was trying to say that every SCSI2SD must be set to ID3 to work with X68000 (SASI or SCSI models). That´s Why it didn´t work setting SCSI2SD to ID0.

Quote from: SuperDeadite on November 08, 2017, 11:56:09 PMWhen Boot is set to STD, it first looks at the floppy drives,
then checks ID0, and moves up the chain looking for a bootable drive.

So I don´t understand why after a SRAM clear the X68000 didn´t boot from ID3 (with a previous working SCSI2SD). Maybe something related to bootflags? Bootflags are saved in disc or in SRAM?

hyrulebr

I finally got a boot disc! ...but it didn´t work.  :'(

Google translation :
human.sys is broken
cannot boot from disc
please insert the correct disc

Same result using boot disc (human 3.02), Gradius and Dragon Spirit. If I use a blank disc the message is "please insert a boot disc". So at least my drive can read when the human.sys is inside...

Caps was replaced by the previous owner.

I´ll try to clean it. Any advice? Drive working a few weeks ago....

vanpeebles

I wonder if you have dirtied the heads on the floppy drive?

hyrulebr

Quote from: vanpeebles on November 30, 2017, 05:16:12 AM

Maybe. I bought this drive cleaning kit:

http://www.koalaeletroshop.com.br/limpador-de-driver-de-computador-de-5-25-coby-cohd19.html

But I don´t know if it will works with X68000. I´ll try everything possible before open the drive to clean it. I´m not sure if I will be able to mount it again... :-[

vanpeebles

I've had it happen before on a BBC drive but it was far easier to clean the heads with a cotton bud. I got carried away trying some old x68000 discs, when I should have rotated them all by hand and checked for mould etc.

You are meant to clean off any stuff with deionised water and a cotton bud from the disc surfaces first :)

hyrulebr

Quote from: hyrulebr on November 30, 2017, 05:23:05 AM
Quote from: vanpeebles on November 30, 2017, 05:16:12 AM

Maybe. I bought this drive cleaning kit:

http://www.koalaeletroshop.com.br/limpador-de-driver-de-computador-de-5-25-coby-cohd19.html

But I don´t know if it will works with X68000. I´ll try everything possible before open the drive to clean it. I´m not sure if I will be able to mount it again... :-[

After first use now drive 1 reading fine!  ;D

After a entire month I manage to finally boot and change SCSI ID boot to ID3. SD2SCSI working as expected!

Now play some games!  8)