HiSaturn Navi RGB mod heads up : no CSYNC; and a question

Started by parodius, June 18, 2017, 10:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

parodius

Hi there

I just modded my HiSaturn Navi for RGB, using Lawrence's tutorial.

One aspect that I overlooked is that it does not seem to output CSYNC on pin1 of the AV port either.

Picture me, after 3 hours of painstakingly taking the beast apart, modding it, and putting it all back together : I plug my CSYNC-as-sync scart cable, and I get a rolling picture on my PVM  :o
The picture had good colors though, so that meant at least the RGB was Ok, and I quickly thought it made sense pin 1 was not connected either  ::)
After switching to my old original Sega PAL scart cable, I finally got a proper and crisp picture.
I don't want to open my Navi any time soon again, so as far as I'm concerned that'll make do for now  8)

Bottom line, if you do this mod you will need to use Composite video or Luma as sync, or mod the console to output CSYNC on pin 1.

By the way, if I were so inclined to open my Navi again, would it just be a matter or routing pin 11 of the Sony CXA1645 chip to pin 1 on the AV port, or is there a need to put some stuff in series ?
It's likely my CSYNC scart cable from retrogamingcables already has the 470ohm resistor + 220 uF cap mentioned here.

Cheers

NFG

Huh, good catch.  You might be the only person besides me to ever perform this mod.  =D

C-Sync doesn't come from the CXA (certainly not the unused pin 11).  C-Sync comes directly from the Saturn.  Looks like it comes from VDP-2. 

parodius

Sorry, I meant pin 10, not 11.
Pin 10 is "Composite sync signal input. Input TTL-level voltages."

NFG

Yup, that's correct.  Here's a schem that might help you locate the right point to tap that signal.

zyrobs

So many people modding their Navi Hi-Saturns, but no one is posting any hi-res teardown pics :(

parodius

Pics I took to help me put back everything together.
We can see the blue wire mentionned by Lawrence in pic #11.

NFG

Man, I miss that machine.  What a work of art. 

Thanks for the pics!

Segasonicfan

omg these pics are arousing.
:P
Thank You!!!!!   Incredible to see inside one of these.  Some things even I won't mod.

Lawrence, what happened to yours?
MY WEBSITE: https://segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro
I design PCBs for retro game systems :)

NFG

Segasonicfan

guessing due to financial reasons?   Or jealous / insane wife or girlfriend?

NFG

Neither.  I'm just...  Playing games less now.  The Navi was sitting in a box, I only pulled it out once in the last decade or so, in order to take some photos of it.  Why keep something like that?  It's wasted on me.  And, TBH, I'd rather let someone else deal with the inevitable capacitor replacement.  ;)

I'm keeping most of my PCE gear, and a handful of Saturns to play the games I have left, but my hoarding days are over.

Segasonicfan

Quote from: Lawrence on November 17, 2017, 07:23:45 PM
Neither.  I'm just...  Playing games less now.  The Navi was sitting in a box, I only pulled it out once in the last decade or so, in order to take some photos of it.  Why keep something like that?  It's wasted on me.  And, TBH, I'd rather let someone else deal with the inevitable capacitor replacement.  ;)

I'm keeping most of my PCE gear, and a handful of Saturns to play the games I have left, but my hoarding days are over.

oh man...yeah I guess I see what you mean.  It's a weird hobby that way.  I have 3x Sega CDXs....can't play them all but can't let them go either!

If you ever have another rare system that you don't wanna deal with cap jobs, you can just give them to me and I will take care of all that :)  Consider me your PC Engine LT, Laseractive, X68000 Goodwill Donation Center :D

-Segasonicfan