Saturn Controller shoulder button repair

Started by tboisson, June 14, 2017, 05:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tboisson

Hello !
I've recently bought a beautiful sega saturn but the controller that came with it has a shoulder button issue
it's a model 2 controller
the right shoulder button clicks properly but doesn't work

now i really want to repair it for some reason but don't know much about electronics
i used a solder gun like 3 times in my life but hey, i enjoy learning

does anyone know how i could fix this issue ?
or for what the reason why the button clicks but doesn't work in game?

in advance, thanks

NFG

Open it up and have a look at the switch beneath the troublesome button.  It's mounted 90 degrees from the main PCB, if I remember correctly.  Check the solder joints where it is attached to the PCB, look for cracks or other evidence that it's become disconnected.  Check the circuit traces back to the chip on the PCB, make sure that, to the eye, it's all physically OK.  If you suspect any cracks or other damage, you can re-flow the joints with your soldering gun (though I recommend an iron if you plan on making a habit of this - guns are sort of unwieldy)

Get a piece of wire and short out the button's solder points on the PCB, see if you can trigger it that way.  If this works, it's probably safe to assume the button itself is shot.

tboisson

Thanks for your reply Lawrence !
So i investigated a bit and here's how it looks

Nothing wrong with the solder joints right ?
the left trigger works fine so i compared the joints on the right and they look juste the same
except for a small crack on the circuit (picture n°2)

so now i'm down to two options

• either it's the button that is shot
  • or the crack on the circuit
or both lol

if it's the button is there a way to repair it?

NFG

That crack looks like it's in the transparent coating, not the circuit.  Did you try to short that point with any of the others on that button?  Use a screwdriver or paperclip or whatever, just touch the two points and see if the button registers on the system.  That'll tell you for sure.

If it is the button...  I don't remember the last time I cracked open a Saturn pad, but IIRC sometimes you can hack up a repair for those.   I don't know about replacements - perhaps someone else on the forum knows about it.

tboisson

I just tried to short the point with another button using a screwdriver, but still no response from the R trigger
Maybe I should just look for another controller
it's sad cos i love fixing things but this one seems to be a little tricky

NFG

I'm not sure what points you shorted.  'another button' seems like maybe you've done it slightly wrong.  Connect the two points above the yellow circle in your last photo.  Just jam a screwdriver between 'em, or even a piece of tinfoil.

If that doesn't work, consider running a new wire to the single non-ground point, from wherever it connects on the chip.  (If you have a multimeter, test to see that this line actually connects to the chip).  You may have a hairline crack, something you can't see, but I'd be surprised.  My money's on a faulty chip or a bad button.

tboisson

Maybe I'm doing this wrong. Thanks for the help Lawrence, i'm trying this tonight after work

tboisson

Haa ! progress
ive shorted the R button signal with tinfoil and it DID work in game
almost couldn't believe my eyes

the thing is, it's pressing the piece of tinfoil against the transparent coating that worked, never the button

so it's the button itself that's broken right?