SNES (circa 1994) RGB + EDTV with RGB/VGA port question!

Started by izlude, March 19, 2017, 08:53:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

izlude

Hi guys!  I've got a Samsung Plasma, EDTV.  Model SP-P4251. It has a PC input: analog RGB (D-Sub 15-pin). On the actual TV, it's labeled as RGB. Does this mean that this D-Sub port on my TV (or any TV with a D-Sub) will recognize the csync? or is it strictly hsync/vsync?

In any case, I want to get the SNES to do RGB on this TV using that port.  Can it be done using a simple North America SNES/SCART cable from ebay (with the capacitors) and then plugging it into something like UMSA (Ultimate SCART Adapter)?

Note that the UMSA seems to be european in origin, will that conflict with my North American TV?  Is there another adapter that's suggested? One not so expensive? My TV does have a built in scaler btw, it turns 1080i, 720p, 480i directly into 480p if this info is useful for my answer :)

Thanks guys!  I did try browsing some of the topics, but they don't seem to mention built in scaling, or trying to use a d-sub. (or i'm blind lol).

NFG

Check the manual or the online specs for your TV.  I'll bet you it doesn't support 15kHz horizontal frequency, which is required for the SNES (and all old consoles).

And if your TV turns 1080i into 480p I'd be very surprised.  ;)

izlude

Hi thanks for the reply!!  I went into the service manuals etc.. online and whatnot, no info about how many khz are accepted, but I'll assume it's 31.5 (the usual for PC inputs?) so I guess I'll have to use a box to convert the RGB from the consoles to VGA instead.   

I've always wondered too, if doing straight RGB looks exactly the same as after being converted to VGA? Or if the difference is negligible. I just wanted to try it out for the heck of it.

Otherwise, in the case of the scaler, not sure how that works out. The manual just says scales 1080i/720p down for 480p viewing. I guess I could put a pi3 on there if I wanted :)  I'd love to post pics once I get things going.

NFG

Generally speaking you can convert RGB to VGA without too much of a quality loss - certainly less than you'll find with any other analogue conversion.

But all conversions cost you somewhere, with lag, or a loss of sharpness or the introduction of jitter.  You can't convert without losing something somewhere, it's just something you have to deal with.

Whether this conversion will be a problem for you depends on exactly how you do the conversion, and how fussy you are.