Making longer cords for NES and SNES controllers

Started by Paar, March 13, 2017, 06:20:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paar

Hi. I'm in a process of making longer cords for NES and SNES controllers. I know there are extension cables but they are low quality and can possibly damage your controller ports.

My goal is to make longer cords while using original controller plug found on the original controller.

Things were looking good but now I have a hard time determining if the wire terminals hidden in the plug are standard or not. They are looking as D-Sub socket terminal but have different length and I don't know if it were a problem.

http://www.conrad.com/ce/en/product/1278563/Connector-receptacle-AWG-min-24-AWG-max-20-Brass-TE-Connectivity-AMPLIMITE-HD-20-HDP-20-1-pcs?ref=searchDetail

I have took apart an unofficial SNES extension cable and it was using terminals with similar length. That's why I thought that I could find them somewhere loose but I had no luck so far. Do you know where to find it?

You can see dimensions of the original temrinal in the first picture. The second picture compared an original terminal (red wire) and unoriginal from the extension cable (black wire).