X68000 ACE HD - SRAM Battery question

Started by aarkay14, November 06, 2016, 06:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aarkay14

Dear All,

I am in process of restoring another x68000 wish to replace my SRAM battery as the old battery has puked all over the place and died, however I have 2 options:

1. Remove the recharging circuitry (which I dont know how BTW) and install a coin cell holder with CR2032 battery.

2. Keep the recharging circuitry intact and install an LIR2032 3V 65mah with a coin cell holder ( I kinda wanna do this and even have the components)

however I have a question - do rechargeable coin cell batteries leak? if yes then should I put in wires and place my battery in far away location that the board to avoid battery acid puke again?

I am so lost here, please help..

-Rama

kamiboy

aarkay14

Quote from: kamiboy on November 06, 2016, 07:09:04 PM
All batteries leak eventually.

So what do I do to save the Pcb? Do I place it far away with a wire?

caius

You can also use a CR2032 but you have to install a diode to prevent the recharging current will reach the battery plus a resistor to limit the current to 10mA (the maximum accepted by CR2032) in case of diode failure.

kamiboy

Quote from: aarkay14 on November 07, 2016, 01:29:08 AM

Personally I do nothing, I don't worry about it. Capacitors eventually leak, resistors fail, IC's fail, everything fails, nothing can escape the effects of entropy. Just put in a new battery and enjoy your X68000. That battery prolly wont fail for at least the next 10 years if it is a quality part. If you are worried check up on it every so often.

aarkay14

Quote from: kamiboy on November 07, 2016, 01:52:08 AM
Quote from: aarkay14 on November 07, 2016, 01:29:08 AM

Personally I do nothing, I don't worry about it. Capacitors eventually leak, resistors fail, IC's fail, everything fails, nothing can escape the effects of entropy. Just put in a new battery and enjoy your X68000. That battery prolly wont fail for at least the next 10 years if it is a quality part. If you are worried check up on it every so often.

I see..  So do I install the rechargeable coin cell battery LIR2032?  Has anyone tried..  It looks good on paper..

kamiboy

No idea, I believe different battery technologies require different charging circuits, so be careful with that. I just replace the battery with the same part that was there before to be sure.

aarkay14

Quote from: kamiboy on November 07, 2016, 11:41:39 PM
No idea, I believe different battery technologies require different charging circuits, so be careful with that. I just replace the battery with the same part that was there before to be sure.

Uh but then it will leak again..  I will do more research and strive to find the best replacement battery for my x68000...

aarkay14

I just replaced my NiMh battery with a rechargeable coin cell 3v 65mah battery and the x68000 is working super fine!

Pics:

kamiboy

Did you research whether that battery type can tolerate a charging circuit designed for Nimh batteries?

I may be talking out of my ass, but are Lithium batteries not known to explode unless treated properly?

I guess we'll know in few months.