SNES SPDIF digital optical/coax output!

Started by CZroe, May 12, 2004, 08:41:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CZroe

Now I know exactly what I'm going to do with the functional SNES2 motherboard I have lying around (After a cartridge connector replacement).

RGB + SPDIF digital audio output mod!

It seems old but I couldn't find any mention of SNES + SPDIF with the search function.

NFG

Thanks for the info!

I've got info on optical audio mods for a half dozen consoles, but I didn't think anyone would really care.  Most people don't have digital-audio supporting sound systems, and even if you run it through a digital-ready system the speakers are analogue anyway...  It's fun and all, but is it useful?

Which is an odd thing to hear from a guy who'll mod things just to kill time...  ;)

CZroe

QuoteMost people don't have digital-audio supporting sound systems, and even if you run it through a digital-ready system the speakers are analogue anyway...  It's fun and all, but is it useful?
Most people with component video and RGB in the US have high-end home theaters and CERTAINLY have an audio receiver. Most receivers support all audio inputs. Optical and Coaxial output is becoming universal in the US :)

Besides, it goes a long way to help integrate old consoles in modern home theaters. Why have an optical and analog selector switch if you can simplify without sacrifices?

Now, I'm the minority when it comes to HDTV monitor users because I don't yet have a receiver (My landlord wouldn't allow a better sound system than my already great XBR910's integrated sound ;)). Now I wonder if a receiver would be able to decode the Dolby surround sound included in some select SNES titles (ie, Samurai Showdown and Jurassic Park)?

NFG

Dolby's old matrix surround relied on completely different technology to create surround sound, it won't be conveyed down the digital channel unless your digital input can accept the oldschool dolby surround, which I don't think any do.

Hojo_Norem

QuoteDolby's old matrix surround relied on completely different technology to create surround sound, it won't be conveyed down the digital channel unless your digital input can accept the oldschool dolby surround, which I don't think any do.
Dolby surround, including PRo Logic and Pro Logic 2 are all backwards compatible.  Eg, Pro Logic 2 will play back on Pro Logic 1 amps, but the rear stereo is converted to mono.  I work in a independant electrical retail store and all the Av recevers we sell are all at least Pro Logic, with Pro Logic 2 becoming the standard.

Most games which have a 'Surround' mode will work on a Pro Logic enabled reciver, even if the game dosen't have the Dolby logo.

I think the only real benefit of modding consoles with SPDIF is so you can have much clearer sound, especialy on machines which can put quite a nit of sgnal nois on the analogue lines,  like my snes when I connect it via RGB and the same for my Gamecube, but for my PC and PS2 (which when not playing back a DVD just output PCM sound) have crystal clear sound.
Formerly 'butter_pat_head'

Lesmot

Even if the output is digital, is will still be ProLogic, or ProLogic II, depending on what you have. ProLogic II creates a surround signal from a stereo source, so there isn't much point to it. The signal may be a bit more clear, but negligible. But, it is pretty cool!
Hey there, fancy pants!