News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

PC-9821 Battery?

Started by skpstmgs, November 01, 2015, 02:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skpstmgs

Hey all, so I recently got a PC-9821 Xa7 and I'm wondering where the CMOS battery is located. I did a visual inspection but can't really find it. Anyone know the general area where I can find it or what it looks like? I'm assuming the battery needs replacement since DIP switch settings in the BIOS are forgotten after a few hours and the date just shows a random date every time, and the time always starts at 00:00 and counts up while the machine is on. Any help would be appreciated.

caius

Quote from: skpstmgs on November 01, 2015, 02:41:50 PM
Hey all, so I recently got a PC-9821 Xa7 and I'm wondering where the CMOS battery is located. I did a visual inspection but can't really find it. Anyone know the general area where I can find it or what it looks like? I'm assuming the battery needs replacement since DIP switch settings in the BIOS are forgotten after a few hours and the date just shows a random date every time, and the time always starts at 00:00 and counts up while the machine is on. Any help would be appreciated.

Battery should be located under the PSU, at least in my PC9821.If you are gonna to replace it, keep in mind to not use a not rechargeable one  (like a CR2032) otherwise there could be troubles .Or at least use a diode to prevent the charging of the battery (and if you want also a resistor to limit the charging current up tp 10 mA),

SkyeWelse

This is where mine was located in my PC-9821 Ce2 machine if it helps.

http://retro-type.com/PC98/Ce2-Interior/Ce2-motherboard-09.jpg

-Thomas

skpstmgs

Thanks for the help guys, I found it. It was slightly above the motherboard, but right beneath the power supply. Looks like a Sanyo Lithium ML2430. I think I'll get a direct replacement since I don't want to muck around with custom circuits and whatnot to fit a non-rechargeable.