Xfloppy Device IO Control Error

Started by Pinwizkid, August 27, 2015, 07:10:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinwizkid

I need to burn the V4 Master Disk to finish the installation of my Aztec Monster CF drive, but I'm having serious difficulties burning a floppy disk from Windows 98 or XP. I'm going to try and give you the abridged version of my troubles, but basically it boils down to this:

I have three 5.25 floppy drives. The models are:
-TEAC FD-55BR-500-U
-Fujitsu Limited M2553K03B
-Mitsumi d509v3

I've tried all 3 drives on both Windows 98 (using Xfloppy) and Windows XP (using Omniflop with new drivers installed). Both systems have support for 5.25 floppies in the BIOS and I set them to drive A (XP only allows me to set drive A, while in Win98 I disabled drive B). The only 1 of the 3 drives I've gotten any response from is the Mitsumi d509v3 and that was after adjusting every jumper that was on it. My issue is that when I try to format from either program, I get an IO control error (or the Omniflop equivalent). The drive motors spin and read head moves for about 10 seconds and then the drive gives up.

What should I try next? Is this a software problem or a hardware problem? Are my drives just duds? I'd like to at least test the other 2 drives I have, but I can't figure out the jumper settings on them. I've cleaned the finger board contacts, cleaned the drive heads, and reflowed any cold solder joints on the working drive.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
-BB

SuperDeadite

I would say Step 1 is too get the drives working within Windows first.  If Windows can't format those drives directly, x and omni are not going to work either.

Pinwizkid

I should mention that when I try to format from Windows, the drive does the same thing - spins, attempts to format, but gives up.

Also I've tried 2 different ribbon cables with the same results :(

caius

Most of 5.25" FDD has a jumper to select the signal on pin 34, if "DISK CHANGE" for PC controller or "READY" for Shugart type.Check if your drives have this jumper set to the first one.