PlayStation import mod not working??

Started by Martin, May 06, 2004, 07:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin

I modded my PlayStation to run back up and import discs. When i put one of these discs in it starts, the game loads then freezes. It does this on most import/backup discs. whats wrong with it? :huh:
[span style=\'font-size:14pt;line-height:100%\']barenakedladies[/font][/span]

ORTA

Talking about pirated games is strictly prohibited here try segaxtreme.com  :huh:  

benzaldehyde

QuoteI modded my PlayStation to run back up and import discs.

May Lawrence have mercy on your soul... :blink:

fragment

can we change the subject specifically to region mods. Lawrence I know you hate this system, but I have a friend going to Japan and she wants to be able to play Japanese and US software. Is there any way I can just throw in a switch for her so she can play games for both systems.  

NFG

The PS1 is very easy to mod, most chips require only four wires. Assuming you didn't mean PS2, your problem is almost certainly a chip installed incorrectly or a chip designed for a different model playstation.

Sony sucks for a lot of reasons, but this outrageous territorial lockout, to further their price-fixing monopolistic tendencies, is one of the big ones.

Endymion

There is another.

At long last having a PS2 modded, I've plowed into my old PS1 games.

I can't fucking believe how bad PS1 games look on a PS2. I thought it was just my peepers, being used to seeing better (i.e. newer) graphics elsewhere, but the simplest of PS1 games look miles and away better on an actual PS1.

It is really depressing. It looks so bad it isn't even worth doing. I don't why why they bothered engineering it into the PS2 honestly. So the old PS1 is coming out of the closet. :(

NFG

I can tell you exactly why they did it: Encourage the old PS1 owners to upgrade.  "Look, you can play all your old games!"  If they made them look BETTER, like emulators or Bleemcast do, then you end up with people going "Hey, my old PS1 games look just as good as PS2 games!"

This, obviously, would impact sales.  It might have been better for Sony to just leave it alone, but I'm sure they thought low-colour dithering and filtering would be a nice free gift (it's not, really).

fragment

wow, I noticed this last night when playing Raystorm on my PS2! I thought it was my Component video cable showing the limitations of the PS1. That or the spoiling of my gaming "eye."

Yod@

QuoteAt long last having a PS2 modded, I've plowed into my old PS1 games.

I can't fucking believe how bad PS1 games look on a PS2.
There's a chance that it's actually something to do with the chip in your PS2 - some PS2 modchips introduce a bit of video scaling when playing PS1 games. This obviously makes them look even MORE blocky than they do originally.

I had a Messiah 2/V7 PS2 a while ago, and it definitely gave a degraded picture on PS1 games. The DMS3 chip is fine though, and I think the Matrix MXL-2 chips are ok as well.

fragment

well I compared Raystorm on my PS2 and PS1 on S-video cable (to make good comparison) and I found they look very close. I really don't think there is that much difference. I did find that PS1 games being played on the PS2 with component cable usually has bad results. With S-video cable it is very close.

Guest_Aidan

I've found that going back to the old fuzzy composite (or worse, RF), it's much harder to tell the difference between the two. Move back up to RGB, and it becomes painfully obvious which one is which.

Moral of the story: Squint hard, and you won't notice the difference as much :)

Martin

Ive noticed that the gamecube's and PS One's Composite out put is really really crappy.. yet the XBOX's doesnt seem to be too bad (Not much dot crawl, just a little bleed) yet on the GC and PSone the image goes almost checkerd :S
[span style=\'font-size:14pt;line-height:100%\']barenakedladies[/font][/span]

Endymion

Composite quality can depend on a lot of things. I generally don't find a big difference in composite quality from system to system, but from cable to cable (this can be a huge deal--is one of them rusty-crusty? Or did Mad Catz make it?) or monitor to monitor.

The NEC CM-2791 monitor I recently acquired provides a damn nice composite, to illustrate the point a bit better I am working now to make it my main RGB/game monitor over a Sony PVM2530--the NEC only does RGB and composite while the Trinitron Sony PVM has multiple Composite and S-video ins with its RGB.  When I first saw the Composite image on the NEC I couldn't believe my eyes. If I can't get RGB for something (NES, etc.) I'll be using less than the ideal anyway, this unit's Composite is plenty adequate though.

The PS2 I'm dealing with is modded with a Messiah 2. The graininess is massive and transparent textures appear to have the worst problems--this is with RGB and Component. It's actually hard to tell when some textures are supposed to be transparent due to all the graininess; remember how you hated the way so many Saturn games had a dithered wireframe look instead of a transparency? It appears quite like that, and that's assuming you can actually see through the thing, oftentimes such effects appear rather solid. I hadn't dropped back to S-video or Composite just to look-see but I may do so later in the name of science.

Webmasteh

What cable did you buy for the "NEC CM-2791 ?

I have one, just bought it, and reading your posts am excited to learn more.

How did you do it?  I am going to read more posts. I hope you can tell me, cause My brain is fried trying to figure this out.

Shawn