News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

Die Bahnwelt

Started by Psygnosis8, December 14, 2014, 01:40:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Psygnosis8

So I've been digging into the V4 image and discovering the amazing world of doujin shooters.  My mind is blown.  This is like video game punk rock.  (And I want the default high score list from ChoRenSha on a T-shirt.)

In the midst of my exploration I discovered the little gem that is Die Bahnwelt.  What an ambitious little game!!  Whoever translated this deserves a medal...or at least a PayPal donation. In addition to simply taking the time to do it, he/she did it with no Engrish!  Kudos if you're out there.

Anyway, this game's pretty awesome.  The look of it reminds me of the Falcom PC-engine games.  For those that are unfamiliar with it, it plays like Alien Syndrome, if AS were an action RPG.  Granted the core gameplay is a bit...unrefined, but I'm hoping that gets better as I find more weapons.  Anyway, just wanted to give this game a little exposure because it's kinda special.  Anybody else like this game?

Psygnosis8

So does anybody know how to get to that shrine in the beginning? I seem to have hit a brick wall.  I can get into the military base but can advance no further than that.  There's no walk through on the interwebs as far as I can tell.  Any hints?

RobIvy64

Only a matter of time before you dip into the MSX or PC98  8)
"Console Mods" lurker

Psygnosis8

Just checked this, sorry for the late reply...

And yeah, I'd kinda want to get an msx2.  Thanks.  You're encouraging my awful habits.

This Japanese pc scene is definitely the biggest project I've undertaken (worse than arcade cabs) but it's been super rewarding.    Thanks for being such a bad influence ;)

Btw-my x68k compact setup is worse than a sega cd with a 32-x.   6 plugs and a total of 6 devices working at once (bought a 2-channel audio mixer).  It's a friggin beast.  I love it.

RadicalR

Quote from: Psygnosis8 on December 25, 2014, 03:41:42 AM
So does anybody know how to get to that shrine in the beginning? I seem to have hit a brick wall.  I can get into the military base but can advance no further than that.  There's no walk through on the interwebs as far as I can tell.  Any hints?

Awwww. Someone is playing my translation!

In order to get out of the military base, you need to get past the security grid. You'll know where that is when you hit it. (also, keep checking the machines - one of them should drop something.)

Psygnosis8

OMG!! You rule, dude.  Any thoughts on translaing Algarna? ;)

Seriously, though, you did a great job.  My friend and I were really impressed.  There's a lot of humorous banter between the two characters.  Was that in the source material, or did you tweak things a bit, Victor Ireland, style?

So, the security grid...is that the kind of reddish area to the north that has the faces that change when you shoot them (sorry...my 68K is getting a little tune up right now so I can't check it...)?  And by machines you mean the computers in the walls, right?

RadicalR

I admit to a slight tweaking, especially the Sci-Fi parts, being it was so hilariously bad when translated literally. Seriously, "Super Science-Magic Technology" doesn't really seem very fitting, does it?

There *is* one major translation shift I did, and that was for the cyborg. His name kept coming out as "Death-Harm," which in Japanese, may sound imitating, but fails with English. So I replaced it with an name that hopefully kept him ominous.

Yes, keep checking the computers. One of them should drop something you need. By security grid, there's a place where there is a lot of turrets firing diagonally. Good luck!

By the way, there's some interesting Easter eggs by the author. I wonder if you'll find them?

Edit: Took a look at Algarna. It suffers from the issue of the script being hardcoded in the executable. I can probably release an menu patch. Rest of it... is going be pretty Engrishy.

Psygnosis8

Quote from: RadicalR on January 17, 2015, 10:45:20 AM
I admit to a slight tweaking, especially the Sci-Fi parts, being it was so hilariously bad when translated literally. Seriously, "Super Science-Magic Technology" doesn't really seem very fitting, does it?

There *is* one major translation shift I did, and that was for the cyborg. His name kept coming out as "Death-Harm," which in Japanese, may sound imitating, but fails with English. So I replaced it with an name that hopefully kept him ominous.

Yes, keep checking the computers. One of them should drop something you need. By security grid, there's a place where there is a lot of turrets firing diagonally. Good luck!

By the way, there's some interesting Easter eggs by the author. I wonder if you'll find them?

Edit: Took a look at Algarna. It suffers from the issue of the script being hardcoded in the executable. I can probably release an menu patch. Rest of it... is going be pretty Engrishy.

As long as it's playable, I wouldn't care.  I love engrish anyway.  It just looks like a really cool 90s falcom style game.

But seriously, you did a fantastic job with Die Bahnwelt.  I'm a bit starstruck to be talking with you.  Have you done anything else? 

And thanks for helping me out.  I really wanna see more of this game.  It's great.

Oh, and super science magic technology and death harm are going to become household names for me.

Edit:  do you know how to get midi to work with db?  It crashes the game when I try to run it on my sc-55.

RadicalR

Quote from: Psygnosis8 on January 17, 2015, 01:43:45 PM
Quote from: RadicalR on January 17, 2015, 10:45:20 AM

As long as it's playable, I wouldn't care.  I love engrish anyway.  It just looks like a really cool 90s falcom style game.

But seriously, you did a fantastic job with Die Bahnwelt.  I'm a bit starstruck to be talking with you.  Have you done anything else? 

And thanks for helping me out.  I really wanna see more of this game.  It's great.

Oh, and super science magic technology and death harm are going to become household names for me.

Edit:  do you know how to get midi to work with db?  It crashes the game when I try to run it on my sc-55.

http://radicalr.pestermom.com/

No idea, never ran it on actual hardware. I think you're the first to confirm it works.

In other news: With any luck, I might have a beta patch out for the first disk soonish. This contains the opening sequence and the menus.

emerald danjon

I really like this game,remember me Alien Syndrome Cyberpunk version,
more Cyberpunk than Alien syndrome is  ;D

RadicalR

Okay, I'll be uploading a patch for the first disk. This is still very beta, but it plays through the opening and many menus are translated.

You'll need this to patch the .XDF format (NOT .DIM)
This means convert your disk image to .XDF!

http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/893/

Psygnosis8

Holy heck, I just saw this.  I need to give it a shot...

RadicalR

I did more work on this - should have another beta up soon.

Edit: Disk 1 patch uploaded. Tweaked some translations. I'll upload what I got for Disk 2 so far tomorrow.

X-Col

Coming along nicely, keep up the great work!!!  8)

I'm wondering why there isn't a translation for Illusion City when the entire game was translated for MSX2 ages ago. Can't MSX translations be ported to their X68000 counterparts?

emerald danjon

Illusion city is entire Translated on MSX Version?,i think is translated 6 of 8 disks.
anyway is a great idea if the Work for for Example XAK 1&2 etc can be ported to X68000 versions,
i finished the Turbo R Illusion city years ago in complete Japanesse and i think the X68000 have a smooth scroll,i hope play some day this version i really like Microcabin games.
Greetings.

famiac

I can't get midi to work on die bahnwelt, any idea how?

emerald danjon

The Options Settings Menu is somewhat hidden away,To access it,
simply press A+B on your pad for a few seconds.
A Menu will appear. Go to the last Option from there,and set Midi manually
http://www.illusionware.it/x68000/Die-Bahnwelt.htm

famiac

Yes but on the translated version, the midi option crashes the game :/

emerald danjon

Ops  >:( in this case i suppose MIDI sound is not possible on the translated version.

Psygnosis8

Yup, I went through this problem too.  Bummer.  It probably sounds awesome.

RadicalR

Not sure about actual hardware, but I know emulator plays MIDI fine (after setting it up).

Okay, uploading my latest work on Algarna.

Disk 1 is now in Release Candidate (Fixed a typo in the introduction and translated a system message. I will *not* be translating the credits, due to space issues. I'll put that in the readme.)

Disk 2 is now Alpha - This translates about 20 percent of the game. Potentially buggy. As mentioned before, some parts may be Engrishy due to space limitations.  Also, if you're using the ROM version of this, this patch deletes the existing save data, so pick Start From the Beginning and then save your game.

Same patching instructions as before. Keep backups because I don't know how future patches will affect save data.

famiac

Hey RadicalR you should probably make a new thread for Algarna so that it's easier to find.

Also, is there any way you could fix this midi bug or are you not interested?

RadicalR

Good idea on creating the new thread. I'll do that for the next beta.

I can't fix something I don't know what the problem is. If it works in an emulator...

famiac

Maybe it doesn't work correctly on the HDD because a driver isn't being loaded? The !Start.bat file may need to call a midi driver

eidis

Hi Famiac !

DieBahnwelt by RadicalR had MIDI enabled by default but because of that the intro was without music so I hacked around and made the HDD version use integrated audio for obvious reasons. Try running the original release and see if the MIDI will work.

DieBahnwelt (RadicalR)
http://nfggames.com/x68000/Games/DieBahnwelt(RadicalR)/DieBahnwelt_RadicalR.zip

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

famiac

Hi eidis, thanks for the info.

Should i write the xdf files to disk or 2hdboot? Is there no way to get midi on hdd?

eidis

Hi Famiac !

QuoteShould i write the xdf files to disk or 2hdboot?

Write them to disks.

QuoteIs there no way to get midi on hdd?

Yes there is. However, due to the fact that I don't have the necessary hardware, all testing is done in the emulator.  The next HDD image will have MIDI specific game fixes if there will be large enough interest.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

RadicalR

Quote from: eidis on February 12, 2015, 05:44:33 AM
Hi Famiac !

QuoteShould i write the xdf files to disk or 2hdboot?

Write them to disks.

QuoteIs there no way to get midi on hdd?

Yes there is. However, due to the fact that I don't have the necessary hardware, all testing is done in the emulator.  The next HDD image will have MIDI specific game fixes if there will be large enough interest.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

I'm interested in seeing Die Bahnwelt work with MIDI.  8)
Please look into it. X68k games should have only the best, no?

Quote from: gillianx68000 on February 08, 2015, 08:10:30 AM
Illusion city is entire Translated on MSX Version?,i think is translated 6 of 8 disks.
anyway is a great idea if the Work for for Example XAK 1&2 etc can be ported to X68000 versions,
i finished the Turbo R Illusion city years ago in complete Japanesse and i think the X68000 have a smooth scroll,i hope play some day this version i really like Microcabin games.
Greetings.

Same here. Microcabin games are very... tricky. I get lucky that a lot of X68k games encode their strings in an editable file.
Problem is that without an easy way to expand strings space in these files - it gets difficult and compromises need to be made (hence, Engrish)

Not even Die Bahnwelt escaped this (look at the menu or the location names).

famiac

So, i know it's taboo to ask, but how would i run DB using 2HDBoot? I can't seem to find the right settings for the bat file

eidis

Hi Famiac !

This might help:

X68000 FDD Repair?
http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=2081.msg23106#msg23106

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

famiac

Yeah, i found it a while back. I'm not sure how much ram to allocate. I just used $4
But... The game boots to the HUD but the level never loads. Maybe my disks should be in different drives? I'm not sure what disk goes where.

eidis

Hi Famiac !

I'll try to find some free time and cook up a custom HDD image which supports integrated and midi music. There is currently a massive project going on which involves converting two dozen VHS tapes to PC so there is no certain ETA.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

famiac

X-Col

Quote from: eidis on February 12, 2015, 05:44:33 AM

Just started playing this and I also would like to play with midi sound if possible eidis?

Please!  ;)

SuperDeadite

Very simple, just go to the A:\Games2\Diebahnwelt\BW\BWSYS directory.
Edit the BWMUSIC.CFG file (ED BWMUSIC.CFG)
Change FM to GM (General Midi), or CM (MT-32)
Save and exit. (ESC+X)

This will set the default music to the above choice for both the intro and main game.
This game also supports FM Music+ MIDI Drums Mix, but haven't figured out the correct
tag in the .CFG file yet.

X-Col

Hey thanks! Works like a charm  ;)

That FM + Midi drums mix sounds interesting too. Hope you figure out that config!

Thanks again  :)

SuperDeadite

Finally got the game on my real  XVI, and when having MUSIC.CFG set to MIDI, game would crash.
But was able to fix it.  For some reason, the eidus version doesnt actually load the ZSMC music driver.
So just edit the !Start and !Intro bat files, and add ZMSC to the top of them, this will load the driver into memory then start the game, and MIDI works perfectly.

Only reason I can think of why Edius choose to omit this, is that loading another music driver eats more memory, meaning the RAM required to run it is higher.

Why he never bothered to tell anyone this is beyond me though...

famiac

Thank you for sharing the results of your investigation :D

kamiboy

Looks like loading zmusic removed the need to muck around in config files as with it loaded the in-game sound option menu can change between the different music formats without fault.

SuperDeadite

Quote from: kamiboy on January 27, 2017, 01:04:08 AM
Looks like loading zmusic removed the need to muck around in config files as with it loaded the in-game sound option menu can change between the different music formats without fault.

Yes, but setting the default in music.cfg allows you to run the intro in your preselected choice of MIDI without having to hold down the proper Function key during bootup.  Oh, and RM is the correct tag for FM+MT32 Drum combo by the way.