N64 overclocking craze.....

Started by Robert Ivy, April 22, 2004, 12:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Ivy

Thought I might share my N64 ;). It has come along ways since this post. One of the first things I did was add a new heatsink. Although it doesnt get too much hotter than before, it runs cooler than before with this heatsink. I found it on an old stereo amp and I cut it to size. I also added a blue LED and removed the plastic from the expansion pak to give it less of a "toy" look. Hope you like  :D

Robert Ivy

Robert Ivy

if the pictures dont pop up, go here, here, and here ;).

CZroe

Guest_segasonicfan

hrmm...id like to see pics it sounds cool.  I just finished making a portable N64 myself, I need more money for another screen though cause I am brooooke. It's nice though, I'll put some pics up when I'm all done. :)  I hope yours get up and running too.
-Segasonicfan

Robert Ivy

I dont know what the deal is, if you would like to see some pictures, email me at robivy64@hotmail.com.......dang geocities!!!

davidleeroth

Geocities doesn't support direct linking but copy-paste always works. Or you can press enter on the address line on better browsers such as Mozilla/Firefox.

Vertigo

If the pics don't work for you, put the URL in then take the g off the end and press enter. Yahoo will tell you they don't exist, then simply type the g back on the end and press enter and you should be all good.

Very nice, by the way.

benzaldehyde

You must tell us...

How well does it work? Any changes you can detect?

Endymion

Here is the index to Robert's site, browse the pics from there.

May I ask if you have done the RGB mod on your N64?

atom

Hey robert, you should move your site to netfirms virtualave or netfirms, they give you more bandwith (your site is shut down) and dont kill your site for every little thing.
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

Agentspikey95

netfirms sucks. Period. Hell even topcities is better than netrfirms!
Why are you reading this?

BAM

we overclocked a n64 and it is nice. we have 2 40mm fans on the top of it. we used a molex wall plug in to power the fans. the case has a glowing blue coler.

caphynehy

I have been reading that the N64 overclock only works on the fun colored N64s. Is this tru? I have a black N64 I want to mod, and I was thinking about overclocking it. Will it work? and what sort of advantages will I get?
The closer you get to the light, the greater your shadow becomes.

If you overclock it, it will surely work. What is questionable is whether or not it will crash and overheat easily. Supposedly the transparent N64 is made with another board or another CPU revision or such which can withstand the extra heat. Also questionable (to some) is how much faster the game runs by overclocking, but that's another issue.

Endymion

Damnation, autologin keeps "forgetting."

robert ivy

Check out my site.....I have a full write-up on my discoveries of the N64 overclocking....

UCM!

Endymion

Robert--do you have web space with your ISP that you can use for your site? Every time I go to look, Yahoo has shut it down due to bandwidth limitations.

And may I ask again have you performed the RGB mod on your N64?

eek

Can you just connect pin 116 to +3.3V if you don't want to bother with setting it to 3.0x? It would save me having to lift another pin if I only want it at 2.0x setting. Just interested to know because the table in the guide suggests the default 1.0x setting has both pins grounded anyway which is what the N64 is using at default (?).

DarthCloud

Drewman21

Say,
    On your heat sink that you added from the stereo.  How did you manage to mount it?  Did you just use thermal tape/glue or did you screw it on?  Justwanted to check.
Thanks

Guest_robivy64

I cut it to where it is a perfect fit. It *can* hold itself in, but I put a strip of thermal tape between the two sinks.

-R

Drewman21

Thanks for the tip.  I was brain storming on cutting slots into the heat sink that is there already and using a small 40mm 12v or 5v fan to move air around.  Wanted to avoid that because of the fan noise and the dust issues that come along with that.  Thanks again.

Drewman21

Jaytheham

So, the problem with the Black N64s is simply one of overheating? I overclocked mine(broke off a leg <_<) , and using an 8cm fan to keep it cool it's been running without any problems...  :)  

PenguinXR2

You should not need any active cooling even after overclocking. Maximum temperatures on my unit at 125mhz (93.75mhz stock) were about 122F after running a Super Smash brothers botmatch for about 6 hours. This is more than acceptable for passive cooling in my opinion. I also added some thermal interface compound (Arctic Silver 5) to the aluminum blocks and first plate. You can check out my detailed images below:

http://tuxclan.com/gallery/n64

Rajveer

Sorry to bring up such an old thread, but I was wondering how some people from this thread added a fan to their N64? I have an 8.5V fan and a 12v PCI-slot fan that I want to use...any suggestions?