News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

modify n64 cartriges

Started by fixxxer575, April 22, 2004, 12:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fixxxer575

is it possible to edit the information on a n64 cartridge?

CZroe

Are you referring to ROM data or game save data (Progress / score data)? SRAM, EEPROM, DUAL EEPROM and to some extent FlashRAM save types can be saved, modified and restored. For modifying ROM data you need a ROM simulator like a Doctor V64, V64jr, CD64 or Mr. Backup Z64. You can load any backed up N64 ROM or homebrew N64 code on it and execute it just like a cartridge. Because cart space is limited, most N64 games use proprietary compression schemes. Many of them have been figured out. Check www.dextrose.com for the decompressors and source code.

fixxxer575

you can't some how connect your n64 to your PC and use the n64 to write cartridges?

benzaldehyde

All video game systems are stripped down development models created for the sole purpose of running software. None of them, save the Yarouze from Sony or a modified XBox, have the capacity to write much of anything to the base programming (in this case, on the EEPROM/s). Consider the cart like a CD, that has its own built-in memory card. Sorry. :(

N64 cartridges use read-only MASK ROM. They were never even PROM to begin with and certainly are not EPROM/EEPROM. Nintendo's development prototype carts were FlashROM and utilized a device conected to a PC to program them. You can make your own such device or buy one that uses battery-powered RAM to simulate the original ROM.

fixxxer575

QuoteN64 cartridges use read-only MASK ROM. They were never even PROM to begin with and certainly are not EPROM/EEPROM. Nintendo's development prototype carts were FlashROM and utilized a device conected to a PC to program them. You can make your own such device or buy one that uses battery-powered RAM to simulate the original ROM.
how can you make one? were can u buy one?

CZroe

Doctor V64, V64jr, CD64, Mr. Backup Z64, PUCE, etc.

To make your own you need to follow Valery Pudov's "N64 Pro" diagrams. You should be able to find that information on Dextrose.com. I'll add a link when I come across it :)

I do have a second unused V64jr 512 (The best such unit ever made) but that thing was EXPENSIVE after Nintendo shut down the company ($322).

BTW, yeah, Guest was me :)

And it is possible for the N64 to write to ROM addresses if the medium is writable (Like a V64jr is). Only problem is that many games purposely try to write to addresses that are not supposed to be writable as a copy protection, so the device must have a "read only" mode (As they all do). The V64jr required you to insert a cartridge into the N64 then boot backup software instead which would write the contents of the ROM into the V64jr's memory. From there it goes to the PC over the same cable that loaded the backup sofware ROM image file initially.