Help Wanted: X68000 VI Compact compact flash mod

Started by Psygnosis8, November 12, 2014, 03:42:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Psygnosis8

So, this may be kind of a ridiculous request but I figured I'd put it out there.

I scored a 68000 Compact recently  It came with Jaz Drive HD replacement, which subsequently either failed or the bios memory specification got changed somehow (dead battery?)  I'm  trying to do a CF mod but it's getting over my head.  I loaded up SX inadvertently and now I can't boot from the DOS gui I used previously.  I think it's time to admit that I'm in over my head and ask for help.

I was wondering if someone was able to help me get this mod in place.  I've got a SCSI enclosure, proper cable and a RaizinMonster SCSI to CF card.  I can't get it to boot from the CF drive.  Is there anyone with some experience doing this that would be able to help me get this working?  I can ship it off and pay you for your time.  This was a pretty hefty investment, and I'd like to get it in working condition if I can.

Thanks in advance!

eidis

Hi Psygnosis8 !

No need to ship it anywhere. Try booting from Human OS floppy and running switch.x. Then select the proper amount of installed memory and the SCSI ID of your adapter. Let us know how it went.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

skpstmgs

Also, what brand of CF card are you using? I know Transcends work well for this purpose, but I haven't tested other brands.

eidis

X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

Psygnosis8

I'm using a Transcend 2GB card. 

So, yeah the Human 68K disk is a problem.  I have an old XP laptop and I THINK I can use dos commands to format a 1.25M disk, but I tried to load MasterDiscV2 on it and it didn't work.  Anybody willing to hook me up with a Human 68K disk?  I'd be eternally grateful.

Thanks again for all your help, guys.  I really appreciate it. 

eidis

Hi Psygnosis8 !

Let's try a different approach. First of all download V4 and restore it to a CF card.

HDD image V4
http://nfggames.com/x68000/Games/X68000V4.zip

Guide on how to create a Hard Disk image from scratch and transfer it
http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=5176.msg34525#msg34525

There is info in the first post on how to restore the image to physical media. After successfully restoring the image try setting the same SCSI ID for RaizinMonster SCSI to CF card as Jaz drive and booting from it.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

Psygnosis8

Quote from: eidis on November 13, 2014, 04:14:02 AM
Hi Psygnosis8 !

Let's try a different approach. First of all download V4 and restore it to a CF card.

HDD image V4
http://nfggames.com/x68000/Games/X68000V4.zip

Guide on how to create a Hard Disk image from scratch and transfer it
http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=5176.msg34525#msg34525

There is info in the first post on how to restore the image to physical media. After successfully restoring the image try setting the same SCSI ID for RaizinMonster SCSI to CF card as Jaz drive and booting from it.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

Okay.  I had a little time to look into this today.  I'm trying to make a hard disk image, but I'm a bit confused about the first step.  I'm supposed to run fsutil in a dos prompt, but into what exactly?  In windows or in XM6?  If it's XM6, how to I force it to bring up a dos prompt?  It just boots to the no disk error.

Thanks again for all your help, guys!

skpstmgs

I think you can just skip to step 7-a to write the image to the CompactFlash. The tutorial starts off assuming you have interest in creating a brand new HD image, so you can skip most of that if you are using the V4 HDD image that Eidis has provided.

eidis

Hi Psygnosis8 !

This one is dedicated to you:

Creating and restoring hard disk images to and from physical media
http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68000:creating_and_restoring_hard_disk_images_to_and_from_physical_media

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

Psygnosis8

Quote from: eidis on November 19, 2014, 12:59:45 AM
Hi Psygnosis8 !

This one is dedicated to you:

Creating and restoring hard disk images to and from physical media
http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68000:creating_and_restoring_hard_disk_images_to_and_from_physical_media

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

Okay, this makes perfect sense. Thank you! i'm going to try this as soon as I get a chance.

One other thing... So I've somehow forced The machine to boot up SX every time I turn it on.  is this going to cause me a problem when I try to boot it with the new CF image? 

eidis

Hi Psygnosis8 !

Press and hold "HELP" key when switching on the X68000 to get a boot menu as seen in the attached picture. In this particular case there are two entries (partitions). Once you select the desired partition, it will auto-start upon every reboot. The only way to change that is by summoning the boot menu once again and selecting a different partition. The number of partitions is defined by the creator of the image and can range from 1 till 4 of maybe even more. This data is stored in the image file and is not linked to switch.x. Switch.x only tells the X68000 from which SCSI ID to boot the system.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

Psygnosis8

Omg it works it works it works wtf bbq adkjhaieuwfijwfiewn ;D ;D ;D

Thanks to eidis and everyone else who helped on the project.  The answers were simple, I just didn't know where to look.  We're in business.  I can't thank yall enough!  I had almost given up...

eidis

Hi Psygnosis8 !

Congrats on a job well done ! What exactly did you do ?

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

Psygnosis8

I wasn't loading the image on the CF properly.  I used Winimage as was suggested in the link you provided and it worked.  I'm in business now!