News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

LHES error

Started by Psygnosis8, November 11, 2014, 03:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Psygnosis8

So my x68000 came with a pretty odd setup.  The guy who had it before copied a hard disk image on to a jaz disk (that's right, the Iomega 90s one) and connected it to the SCSI port.  It worked fine until about 5 minutes ago.  Now it won't boot any games, and the screen has s bunch of Japanese characters followed by "LHES". I'm sure you've all run across this a couple times.

I'm planning on upgrading to a cd setup but it's been difficult (my x68k is s vi compact). And I at least wanted to enjoy some games until I solve that problem.  Anybody know what's going on, or how to correct it?

SuperDeadite

LHES is a shell program making running things from Human68K faster.  Hard to know why its failing without the proper error message though.  A picture would be nice here.

JAZ drives were quite notorious at failing from what I remember, so it's quite possible the drive or disk just died on you.

Since you have a Compact which supports real SCSI, you should get yourself one of the Compact Flash boards, best option for sure.  A CD-ROM is a nice extra, but you can't boot from one, you have to boot from HDD/Flash or a Human68K bootdisk first and load a CD-ROM driver....

Psygnosis8

I'll try to get a pic tonight. I have a CompactFlash set up basically ready to go, but the sharp won't boot from it.  I set the SCSI id on it to the same one that the jaz drive was using (both on the SCSI to cf board jumpers and the SCSI enclosure), but it won't boot.  Any suggestions with this would help too...

Psygnosis8

So here's what it looks like.  Here I'm trying to boot thunder force 2, which worked fine yesterday.  Any ideas?

skpstmgs

Can you check to make sure the memory is set correctly in SWITCH.X (BIOS)?

Edit: Just tried it on my machine and I get that exact error when setting my memory to only 2MB in BIOS. Do you know if the battery in your machine has been replaced recently? I think the BIOS forgets its settings when this battery starts dying.

Psygnosis8

Yeah the battery was recently replaced. 

So now I was trying to find switch.x and booted up sx, the operating system on accident.  Now every time it boots it brings up the os and not the dos gui it usually did. 

This is getting really frustrating.  It's to the point where I want to ship it to somebody and pay them to get the cf working.

skpstmgs

Are you using the Baller_v2 image? Hold the HELP button (top right) on the keyboard while rebooting the machine. You should get a menu to choose partition - choose the first.
If it loads into LHES, press the X button to bring up the Run External program prompt. You can just type SWITCH.X and hit enter and it should load it up. If it boots into a DOS-like prompt, you can type the same thing and hit enter.

If this doesn't work, in SX-Windows, right-click on the computer near the top-left, and select the second option - Console (コンソール).  Expand the window to be larger, type switch, and hit enter. Make sure the Memory option is set to your total memory amount, and I think boot should be set to STD (seems to work the best for me), then choose the bottom left option, hit Y to confirm.

SuperDeadite

The error message is 2HDBoot reporting not enough RAM to mount the 2nd disk.

If you are using my old image and it is booting straight off the B: partition automatically, then most likely your A Partition has become corrupt.  Which is most likely your JAZ disk going out.

Psygnosis8

Awesome, I'm gonna try all these suggestions tonight.  Thanks so much for all your support.  This is a cool community willing to assist noobs with little electrical engineering experience.  I appreciate it.

Psygnosis8

So I successfully did a cf mod and I'm getting the same errors.  More complex games like star luster or thunder force 2 won't boot.  I'm reflashing the image to see if that works, but it's probably screwy bios settings.  I may need a new battery.

Now to change bios settings I think I need a humanx68k disk.  I'm having difficulty making one on my own.  Anybody have a copy they could send me?

Psygnosis8

Err, wait.... I'm stupid.  I ran switch.x, changed the ram setting to 1024, reset the machine, andnow it boots ace.  Derp.

eidis

Hi Psygnosis8 !

QuoteI ran switch.x, changed the ram setting to 1024, reset the machine, andnow it boots ace.

Compacts have 2MB ram by default. Why would you want to use only half of that ?

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

Psygnosis8

Quote from: eidis on November 25, 2014, 07:39:32 PM
Hi Psygnosis8 !

QuoteI ran switch.x, changed the ram setting to 1024, reset the machine, andnow it boots ace.

Compacts have 2MB ram by default. Why would you want to use only half of that ?

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

Noob mistake.  My system has 2MB plus an 8MB expansion.  So should I set it to 10,000 KB?

eidis

Hi Psygnosis8 !

Yes, set it to 10240KB. Then try running any game from Games3 directory. If there are problems, make sure that your RAM expansion board is set to address RAM starting from 2MB.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

RobIvy64

"Console Mods" lurker

Psygnosis8

Accualy is dolan