News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

WTB: RAM

Started by RetroRepair, October 27, 2014, 02:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RetroRepair

Looking for some extra RAM for my setup, 10mb would be great but anything will be better than 2mb (since I have SxSI installed so really I have less than 2mb available!).

BlueBMW

Ive got an extra xsimm10 right now.  Whats a fair price for them these days?

RetroRepair

Awesome :)

I have no idea on price though, never bought one!

BlueBMW

If someone can chime in on what a fair price is for one we'll make it happen!  I seem to remember them being typically in the 12k to 20k range on yahoo jp, but I haven't looked for any recently. 

One thing to keep in mind, I'm not sure that 2HDBoot games work on a SxSI system.  So the games that put the disk images to ram and then boot from those images might not work.  Typically you wont need more than 6mb ram unless you're using 2HDBoot stuff.  Maybe there is a workaround in the works.  I think it has to do with the way 2HDBoot writes to SRAM and then reboots the system.  Just throwing it out there so you dont spend big money on RAM and not be able to use all of it.

RetroRepair

Ah that's a bummer, I guess because it doesn't allow for that fact SxSI is resident so tries to write to that area of memory but can't as it's protected?

Maybe Lydux's IPL ROM replacement will fix this?

I'd be happy to meet you in the middle around 15k?

BlueBMW

Typical yahoo jp prices dont include all the other hassles of getting it here.  Maybe $200 shipped?

And yeah, I'm hoping Lydux's work on the IPL ROM stuff may provide a way for SASI machines to use 2HDBoot

RetroRepair

I'm happy to go with that, maybe pay a bit more for quick shipping :)

BlueBMW

Were you in the states or in europe?

RetroRepair

BlueBMW

Let me find out what global priority mail will cost.   That is supposed to be 6-10 business days.  Unless you want me to see how much express is (3-5 business days)

eidis

Hi BlueBMW and RetroRepair !

2HDBOOT games do work on a SxSI machine (I have ACE HD) and so far the only known machine which does not work with it is X68030. It is even so written in the programs readme file. You can easily verify it with an emulator. Make it run as X68030 and you will see that 2HDBOOT will not work. Switch it to pre X68030 SASI or SCSI mode and it will work.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

famiac

Quote from: BlueBMW on October 28, 2014, 02:48:07 AM
Typical yahoo jp prices dont include all the other hassles of getting it here.  Maybe $200 shipped?

And yeah, I'm hoping Lydux's work on the IPL ROM stuff may provide a way for SASI machines to use 2HDBoot

That's an amazing deal. I paid 27500 yen for mine +shipping

RetroRepair

Quote from: eidis on October 28, 2014, 04:07:29 AM
Hi BlueBMW and RetroRepair !

2HDBOOT games do work on a SxSI machine (I have ACE HD) and so far the only known machine which does not work with it is X68030. It is even so written in the programs readme file. You can easily verify it with an emulator. Make it run as X68030 and you will see that 2HDBOOT will not work. Switch it to pre X68030 SASI or SCSI mode and it will work.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

That's good news eidis, thanks :)

BlueBMW

Yeah they seem to fluctuate a lot.  I got lucky and got my first xsimm10 in a junk pro model I bought a while back.