News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

X68030 - Capacitors

Started by costa, October 23, 2014, 07:45:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

costa

Hi Guys,
I am on this painful task or replacing caps of my computers.
I have done in a few, and now it is time to replace on the X68030.

Since it may be useful for someone else, here are the list of capacitors - attached.
They are easy to replace, not so painful as on the Compact model.
The daughter board has the higher number of caps, 37.
The motherboard has only 10.
The power supply has 13 electrolytic capacitors - in fact, it shares the same PSU as the XVI and Expert models, for example.

I have been replacing all smd caps to radial electrolytics capacitors, very successfully. The most difficult part is to remove them without damaging the pads, but some times a pad will lift anyway and we have to find the near spot to solder the new capacitor leg.

To remove the smd caps, I am cutting them out of the board, literally. It is quick, safe, and don't cause damage to nearby components with heating (if otherwise using hot air or other means).

eidis

Hi Costa !

Thank you for the capacitor list. Did I understand correctly that both XVI and 68030 have the same capacitor specs for motherboard and daughterboard ?

X68000 XVI/68030 capacitor list
http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68000:x68000_xvi_68030_capacitor_list

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

costa

Eidis,

For the power supply, yes, they have the same caps.
For the motherboard and daughter board, not, I did not want to say that.
But I will verify that, and soon will make it available the list of the caps for the XVI.

PS: I edited the wiki and updated the title accordingly.

Quote from: eidis on October 23, 2014, 06:00:43 PM
Hi Costa !

Thank you for the capacitor list. Did I understand correctly that both XVI and 68030 have the same capacitor specs for motherboard and daughterboard ?

X68000 XVI/68030 capacitor list
http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68000:x68000_xvi_68030_capacitor_list

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis