News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

Extra RAM

Started by RetroRepair, October 07, 2014, 09:36:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RetroRepair

Hey guys, does anyone know what I need to do to set up extra RAM? Should it just work or do I need to enter a BIOS or setup application?

eidis

Hi RetroRepair !

Use the translated setup2.exe which can be found in the following thread:

Major release: Translated setup2.exe
http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=5357.0

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

caius

You don't have to setup nothing, extra RAM will be automatically recognized by system.

RetroRepair

Hmm that's what I was afraid of.

I bought this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400738454432

Should that work?

I did see the setup2.exe but have no way of getting it into the system right now, I've been looking for the IPL tools to make a bootable DOS CD (among other things). I don't have a mouse yet either so kinda stopping me really playing with much to do with the system.

SuperDeadite

Depends on your Towns model.  Should work in any of the Towns II lineup, but the original models often don't like SIMMS over 4 mbs.

RetroRepair

It's a Towns II UX20 so I guess I've got to investigate a bit more.

SuperDeadite

8mb SIMM is the correct size for the UX20.  Though that doesn't promise compatibility.

RetroRepair

Just a quick update to this, I found this image of a SIMM apparently designed for the FM Towns:

I noticed it had jumpers on the side there and remembered my 8mb IBM SIMM had four jumpers too. I couldn't find the data sheet for the RAM ICs so in my desperation I closed the bottom three and left he top jumper open like in the picture and BOOM.. 10MB reported on boot  8)

I assume this is a standard so if anyone has the same problem and their SIMM has these four jumpers then it's worth trying.

Opethian

are those jumpers for parity? it would be nice to know what you changed to make it work

regards

RetroRepair

I doubt it, the SIMM is described as non parity and that's what the FM Towns wants.

If I could find the datasheet for the RAM ICs (IBM 64G2860) or an equivalent I could say exactly what they are doing.

papa_november

The jumpers aren't for parity. They're connected to pins on the edge connector that are used to determine the size of the SIMM. Most PCs and Macs don't use them (they determine SIMM size via other means), but some odd platforms and many HP printers absolutely depend on a given SIMM having the size pins configured correctly.

Some cheaper SIMMs have these pins jumpered wrong, but it's usually an easy fix if they are.

sir_beaker

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. I am trying to find some RAM for my FM Towns. I've tried this BUFFALO-8000XMT-C RAM from the US (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221971327050) but my FM Towns doesn't detect it. Can anyone help my source some that should work?

Also, the old 40MB SCSI drive in my machine doesn't appear to work anymore. Would I be better trying to source another one or use an external SCSI? I have an Aztecmonster  in an external enclosure for my x68000 that I was wondering if I can use? What problems would it cause with the other drive still being present?

kamiboy

So far as I understand the ram has to be 100ns.

SuperDeadite

Quote from: sir_beaker on February 13, 2016, 08:17:49 AM
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. I am trying to find some RAM for my FM Towns. I've tried this BUFFALO-8000XMT-C RAM from the US (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221971327050) but my FM Towns doesn't detect it. Can anyone help my source some that should work?

Also, the old 40MB SCSI drive in my machine doesn't appear to work anymore. Would I be better trying to source another one or use an external SCSI? I have an Aztecmonster  in an external enclosure for my x68000 that I was wondering if I can use? What problems would it cause with the other drive still being present?

Regarding HDDs, Towns computers actually store HDD format information in SRAM.  Meaning when your battery dies, your HDD will become unreadable, and you have to reformat.  Towns is SCSI and CF boards will work, but without a good battery, you will have to reformat every time you turn on the machine.  For this reason I installed a dual-battery holder in my Fresh so I can swap batteries without the SRAM ever losing power.  If your HDD recently stopped working out of the blue, and you don't hear any loud metallic noises, your HDD is probably still functional after a reformat.

famiac

I bought these:

Then i configured the jumpers on the right hand side according to the specs on this website:
http://www.mahoroba.ne.jp/~kazstary_/usage/simmfaq.txt

Now they work!

parodius

Excellent (rubs hands)
I never noticed this jumper FAQ, will try this WE on a pair of 8MB sticks I bought for my HR

parodius

Success. My HR now boots with 20MB of RAM.

kamiboy

I am having limited success with getting my 20F to recognize the two random modules that I have here.

One is a 6mb stick, the other 16. Switching the jumpers around I can get the Towns to recognize both, but only detects them as 1mb modules.

I've configured the jumpers right, but no dice, and tried the old random shuffling.

sir_beaker

Just an update to say thanks for the help.

I replaced the battery on my FM Towns last night and put a couple of 4MB sticks in (one was duff which I plan to replace) but I now have 6MB and a working 40MB hard drive which I installed Towns OS, Alone in the Dark and Wing Commander 2 on. Great to have a fully working machine  :D

Here's a picture of the RAM with the SIMM ID mods as per the document.