Main Menu

modded PS2

Started by Michael, April 17, 2004, 11:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

Just wanted to show ya'll a sweet mod!

Hope ya'll liked.

benzaldehyde

While I'm of the opinion that you could kick a PS2 down a flight of stairs and it would look better than Sony's design, that is pretty damn awesome. Be careful about using it on it's side, though. It really wasn't designed to do that; it'll leave some pretty bad ring scratches in your media. :D

Michael

Thanks, I have always had it running in the prone position.

<MARQUEE>sweeet!!!</MARQUEE>

fragment

QuoteWhile I'm of the opinion that you could kick a PS2 down a flight of stairs and it would look better than Sony's design, that is pretty damn awesome. Be careful about using it on it's side, though. It really wasn't designed to do that; it'll leave some pretty bad ring scratches in your media. :D
you are saying that it is bad playing games on the verticle position? If it wasn't designed to do that, why did they release a verticle stand?  :(  

NFG

It's commonly believed playing PS2 games with the machine vertical is bad, but according to someone I know in Sony this isn't the case.  Rather, the truth seems to be PS2s are so shoddily manufactured they're gonna fail regardless of playing orientation.

Metal_4evr

Mine sometimes scratches discs when it's tilted on the side but that is the only way I can get blue disc games to load without adjusting that stupid white gear. Mine is only 2 years old and craps out all the time as opposed to my launch model Dreamcast which has never had a hiccup...

Smoothmove

QuoteWhile I'm of the opinion that you could kick a PS2 down a flight of stairs and it would look better than Sony's design, that is pretty damn awesome. Be careful about using it on it's side, though. It really wasn't designed to do that; it'll leave some pretty bad ring scratches in your media. :D
you are saying that it is bad playing games on the verticle position? If it wasn't designed to do that, why did they release a verticle stand?  :(
also why does the PS logo on the tray rotate to be orientated for the vertical position?

Lesmot

The PS2 was meant to be vertical or horizontal. I have one that works fine, and one that will only load if vertical, and another that won't work at all, because of the white motor assembly bits. Sony doesn't apoxy any of their pots, so if their optical drives get bumped at all, they malfunction. That's because they are sexy.
Hey there, fancy pants!

phreak97

just because a console is made so it will work on its end or laid flat doesnt mean the internals will like it both ways... my ps2 has about a 90% success rate laid flat and about a 70% success rate on its end.. that has got to count for something...
its true sony designed it to stand both ways but dont sony want you to break your console and/or your games? you have to remember every time you have to pay for replacements you are giving sony more money.

benzaldehyde

I read on some other forum somewhere (and we all know what a wellspring of truth the Internet can be) sitting the PS2 up on its side was sort of a design afterthought. When used thus, something becomes misaligned and makes ring scratches around your discs. I've never had it happen; I've always used mine horizontally. It is, however, something I've heard on the Internet, and should be counted with appropriate veracity. :)

Gord

The scratch disc thing when the machine is on it's side is simply because when you hit it, the disc will wobble side to side and smash against the inside of the drive.  However, when it's flat on the ground and you jar it sideways there is nothing for the disc to smash against.

To achieve the same result, you would have to yank the machine straight up or push it straight down very quickly.  Such an example would be if the machine was on a table horizontally and the table collapsed.  That would produce the same rings that occur when it's hit in the verticle position.  So basically it's much harder to damage a disc when the PS2 is horizontal rather than vertical.

Can't say I would know why some people's machines run better when horizontal.  When I last looked inside a PS2, that simply wasn't a problem anyone had.

The Man With The Cool Top Hat

HAHAHAHAHA I dont Know about you guys but i really dont think tilting a PS2 will do anything bad to it...