ACE - No Video Out when Flopppy is Connected

Started by costa, August 30, 2014, 03:38:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

costa

Hi there,

My ACE was working fine, but I am replacing the PSU with one ATX.
Now that I am connecting everything together to test, notice this issue... no video output.

But I figure out that when I disconnect the Floppy drives power supply, I can see the output, and the ACE displays the message asking for boot floppy.

Any ideia?

I have verified all power lines coming from the psu, and everything seems to have the right voltage ...

eidis

Hi Costa !

Please verify that you have properly wired the FDD power connector. If that is not the case, try making a new floppy data cable. I had a similar problem with my ACE HD. The floppy data cable went bad and I had to make a new one. Try switching the system on while the floppy drives are connected and gently twist the data cable. If some data signal is not going through and at some point will reconnect, you should see the insert floppy disk prompt.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

costa

Hi Eidis

thanks for the quick reply...

I have just verified that the problem seems to be related to drive 1.
When I disconnect it from power, I see boot message asking for floppy...

but even now, it tries to read the floppies, but says that it could not boot... restart the system.
Nice!! all sorts of problems!! :(

I will try switching the cables and even the drive and see what happens...

Quote from: eidis on August 30, 2014, 03:42:46 AM
Hi Costa !

Please verify that you have properly wired the FDD power connector. If that is not the case, try making a new floppy data cable. I had a similar problem with my ACE HD. The floppy data cable went bad and I had to make a new one. Try switching the system on while the floppy drives are connected and gently twist the data cable. If some data signal in not going through and at some point will reconnect, you should see the insert floppy disk prompt.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

eidis

Hi Costa !

Both drives need to be connected and working, otherwise the machine will not boot.

P.S. Try replacing capacitors on the faulty drive and see if it helps.

Advanced Floppy Drive repair
http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68000:advanced_floppy_driver_repair

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

costa

Hi,

replaced cable and it is back alive, and booting from both floppies!
What a sentimental machine!!!!!!!

Hopefully, no caps need to be touched!!!!!!

I will later try the cable in the machine from which I removed this one... and see if the cable is broken or maybe it was only some bad contacts maybe.

case closed.

:D

Quote from: eidis on August 30, 2014, 04:03:15 AM
Hi Costa !

Both drives need to be connected and working, otherwise the machine will not boot.

P.S. Try replacing capacitors on the faulty drive and see if it helps.

Advanced Floppy Drive repair
http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68000:advanced_floppy_driver_repair

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

eidis

Hi Costa !

Congrats ! That was very quick. The original cable is very stiff and that can cause problems if the machine gets opened a lot. Some pins can intermittently lose contact and then at some point regain the connection. If that happens, the cable must be replaced.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

costa

Yeh, hopefully I had one Super open already, so I took his floppy cable to test.
By the way, had opened another "case" for the Super... :)