Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

XSIMM10 on XVI

Started by costa, July 14, 2014, 01:44:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

costa

Hi there.

Can I use this XSIMM10 on XVI?

My XSIMM10 board has the A bank populated, total memory is 8mb.
Bank B is empty.

I removed the XSIMVI module, so I can test the XSIMM10 expansion.

I am following the wiki to verify the dip switches: http://www.gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68000:xsimm10_-_memory_expansion_board

I configured the DIPS:
S1: AZ=0,A1=0,A0=1          (4 MB pair capacity, 70ns RAMs)
S2: AZ=1,A2=0,A1=0,A0=1 (4 MB pair capacity, 200000 start address)

With these settings, I should have 10MB total RAM installed.
I configured the BIOS with 10MB RAM, rebooted, and run the mtest.

MTEST returns error:
Address:$00000000
Expect  :$00000000
Error    :$00000000

PS: RAM bank is filled with 2 x 4000XM-A JC. Each DIM has 8 RAMS HM514100AS8. I tried to find data sheet for this rams, and as far as I can tell, both DIMs will make it a 8MB RAM expansion board.

Appreciate any help
Thanks.

costa

I have same error with a SH-6BE-2/4M-1.

I am using the wiki for that board as reference as well:
http://www.gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68000:sh-6be-2_4m_-_memory_expansion_board

Connecting the XSIMMVI and setting BIOS to 8MB, MTEST says it is OK.

eidis

Hi Costa !

If I am not mistaken, the I/O slots work in 10Mhz mode and that is why XSIMMVI works fine and the other RAM boards give you errors. Try testing them in 10Mhz mode.

P.S. The RAM which you are trying to use with XSIMM10 is 80ns and the board is configured to 70ns.

HM514100 datasheet
http://nfggames.com/x68000/Documentation/RAM/HM514100.pdf

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

costa

Hi Eidis,

I switched the XVI to 10Mhz, and set the memory speed to 80ns in the board.
Same error.
:)

This is going to be interesting...
Before I think in redoing the caps in the boards, I will try them in other models, but that will be possible only in a few weeks...

Quote from: eidis on July 14, 2014, 03:34:08 AM
Hi Costa !

If I am not mistaken, the I/O slots work in 10Mhz mode and that is why XSIMMVI works fine and the other RAM boards give you errors. Try testing them in 10Mhz mode.

P.S. The RAM which you are trying to use with XSIMM10 is 80ns and the board is configured to 70ns.

HM514100 datasheet
http://nfggames.com/x68000/Documentation/RAM/HM514100.pdf

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

eidis

Hi Costa !

Try different SIMM modules, if possible. ;)

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

SuperDeadite

Sure you have the dip switches setup correctly?  RAM needs to be configured as one continous block.  So if you have 2mb internal, then the I/O board needs to be set at 2mb, meaning it will be used after the first 2mb is full.  With an internal mobo expansion such as XSimmVI, this isnt needed.

For my XVI I have XSimmVI and a 4mb I/O board.  So I have dips on the I/O board set to 8mbs, meaning after all the internal RAM is full, then use the io board.

If your XSimX is working with the XSimVI installed, then it is set to 8mbs, it needs to be set to 2mbs if you remove the XSimVI, otherwise you are creating a gap in the memory block, hence error messages.

costa

Hi mate,
thanks for the reply.

I have done exactly as you said.

I removed the XSIMMVI,  and set the DIPS on the XSIMM10 to 2 MB.
I tried also with the XSIMMVI installed, and another different 4MB board - set the DIPs on the board to 8MB.

I am trying this at 10Mhz.
I set the BIOS to the total memory after.

I may be doing a wrong interpretation of the DIPS, that is one possibility.
Another one is that the boards are not good.

eidis

Hi Costa !

Have you tried reseating the I/O slot riser ?

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

costa

Not at this time... I have removed it some time ago, when I was applying the mods.
I can try that asap.

RetroRepair

I know this is an old post but just had this issue myself, make sure the SIMMs are in the right slots. I believe bank a is the slots nearest the top of the board.

Probably obvious but worth mentioning anyway.

frankmonk

I have to bump this thread here.

just wondering if someone can confirm if the xsimm10 does or does not work in 16mhz mode?

BlueBMW

The xsimm10 works just fine in my XVI at 16mhz fully populated.