News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

HDD image V4 released

Started by eidis, May 24, 2014, 08:03:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amazin

I'm on and off working on this, trying to make a mix of the X68030 image with the HDD_V4.

I think the games on the X68030 image are better structured (removal of HumanOS files whenever possible, some patched to proper HDD install, instead of having a dozen FDD images in RAM (requiring 12MB of RAM to run), but that image has been subjected to the likes and dislikes of it's creator, and it's missing lots of games.

So I'm trying to make a mix of both into a single image.

Craftsman1234

Quote from: HIggy on May 24, 2023, 05:14:59 PM@Craftsman1234 I don't know what format the Patch is in. Is it a file or on a 'disk image'?

But you should be able to use a Windows X68000 emulator. Mount and boot the HD image then add the Patch files.

If the Patch is not on a disk you should be able to create a digital X68000 disk image and then add the Patch files to it.

It should be doable with a little bit of fiddling.

What we should be doing as a community as getting the V4 image updated with everything and then making sure all the V4 images available for download have the Patches installed.
A bit of work for one person helps everyone else.

I had thought about attempting to do it this way might just work but a lot of work if there are already patched HD images out there,

It was looking like the patch files ran on the SD card as part of the SD2scsi software similar to how a firmware update would be done to the sd2scsi.    The files would be outside of the HD.img files from what I could tell and would alter the disk image.  I could be totally wrong though.

Craftsman1234

Quote from: amazin on May 24, 2023, 06:04:17 PMI'm on and off working on this, trying to make a mix of the X68030 image with the HDD_V4.

I think the games on the X68030 image are better structured (removal of HumanOS files whenever possible, some patched to proper HDD install, instead of having a dozen FDD images in RAM (requiring 12MB of RAM to run), but that image has been subjected to the likes and dislikes of it's creator, and it's missing lots of games.

Would that work with both but contain some 030 games mixed in?

HIggy

On the Amiga I dont think there are many games that call on specific 68030 instructions, they will just run quicker.

I dont know if that is the same on X68000. But it makes sense to make your software work on the largest hardware base.

watto

Regarding the Amiga, the 68030 never officially made it into any consumer level hardware, the max was the 68020, with the faster processors being limited to the big box hardware which was intended for professional work, as on the 3000s and 4000s.  So really there was not that much commercial software built for the latter processors anyway.

The 68020 is a lot like the 68000 but fully 32-bit, with an instruction cache and a short pipeline and the 68030 is a lot like the 68020, but with a (slightly wacky) MMU included and better supervisor/user mode separation, plus added a data cache.

Not really sure there'd be much to gain building specifically for these CPUs instruction sets, I think mainly larger multiply and divide instructions and more bitfield instructions.  The main improvements are from the 32 bit data bus, the fully 32 bit ALU, the caching, pipelines and faster clock speeds.

incrediblehark

Quote from: amazin on May 24, 2023, 06:04:17 PMI'm on and off working on this, trying to make a mix of the X68030 image with the HDD_V4.

I have an hdd image I just finished based off of the 030 hdd image by Shoometsu, with games from the other public images merged where I could, and added a lot of new games that are not in the other ones. I'm ready to share it but was waiting on approval from Shoometsu just because my image is heavily based off theirs. This was built with a xvi in mind but should work with other models as well.

amazin

Quote from: incrediblehark on June 03, 2023, 10:42:14 PMI have an hdd image I just finished based off of the 030 hdd image by Shoometsu, with games from the other public images merged where I could, and added a lot of new games that are not in the other ones. I'm ready to share it but was waiting on approval from Shoometsu just because my image is heavily based off theirs. This was built with a xvi in mind but should work with other models as well.

Is his image public? Because, I mean, there is no "his and hers", it's full of pirated games, we are not respecting anyone's copyright, to be quite honest.

Giving credit should be enough. If the person don't want to see his precious image being modified and/or spread, welp, keep it close to the chest, on a flashdrive, stored on a drawer. Once it's on the internet, it's public.

I don't think you need permission from anyone, as I didn't ask for anyone's permission to do whatever I wanted with them.

That's my opinion, of course. I'm full of respect for guys like Eidis, Caius, others who built the original HDD images before, but that's about it.

-Amazin

incrediblehark

Good point! And credit is given to all of them in my readme. I also state any contributions I made are free to be distributed however anyone pleases as long as its not for monetary gain.

I have some final testing to be done today before making public, so give me a day or two to upload the image and I'll share it with everyone. I'm open to any feedback to make it better!

kanjiology

I'll be open to trying it.

Craftsman1234

Quote from: amazin on June 03, 2023, 11:09:57 PM
Quote from: incrediblehark on June 03, 2023, 10:42:14 PMI have an hdd image I just finished based off of the 030 hdd image by Shoometsu, with games from the other public images merged where I could, and added a lot of new games that are not in the other ones. I'm ready to share it but was waiting on approval from Shoometsu just because my image is heavily based off theirs. This was built with a xvi in mind but should work with other models as well.

Is his image public? Because, I mean, there is no "his and hers", it's full of pirated games, we are not respecting anyone's copyright, to be quite honest.

Giving credit should be enough. If the person don't want to see his precious image being modified and/or spread, welp, keep it close to the chest, on a flashdrive, stored on a drawer. Once it's on the internet, it's public.

I don't think you need permission from anyone, as I didn't ask for anyone's permission to do whatever I wanted with them.

That's my opinion, of course. I'm full of respect for guys like Eidis, Caius, others who built the original HDD images before, but that's about it.

-Amazin

Looking forward to this.   Has it been completed?

HIggy

If possible it would be good to add:

1. Memory test and disk format programs, maybe other useful tools. NFG often mentions these programs in guides.
2. English translations of various games (also keep Japanese)
3. Some x68k'demoscene' demos. I don't think there are many.

I guess the 1GB image is not very full.

amazin

One thing I gotta try is to create a 2GB image, partitioned in two, and see if both "drives" are visible with GROVERHD on a SASI to SxSI machine (like my Pro), with an Aztec Monster SCSI->CF card, as it seems that it's the most limited one nowadays.

Using a ArdSCSIno (BlueSCSI V1) like I am right now is dead easy to have like 6x 1GB drives (i'm running my test with 3 virtual HDDs right now).

Probably we don't need to be confined to the 900MB of the HDD_V4 image anymore, mine is at the absolute limit of 1016MB and it works great...

Here's the 3 "virtual" "HDDs": (oh turns out I have FOUR virtual HDDs...)
Also the "drive /v" output is quite messy because you have to manually set the drive names. I saw someone releasing on twitter this week, a program that will FIX the A/B/C/D for the FDDs, no matter how many FDDs you have, so the first HDD will always be E:. I think it's a great idea. This thing the X68000 does of "the drive that booted the OS is the letter A:" infuriates me. Anyways, here's the picture:
IMG_20230604_122540_1.jpg

And here's the "test" X68000 Pro with BlueSCSI V1/ArdSCSIno:
IMG_20230604_122603.jpg

As for adding modern tools, you're absolutely right. It should have them.

-Amazin

incrediblehark

Image is nearly ready, made some last minute fixes yesterday and will upload soon.

This is a 2gb partition, and has most of the tools you'll need. The common ones are there. Disk format tools are there, I even made batch scripts to make the format process super easy. Have some SX-Window stuff in there too.

As for demoscene content... not sure what you're looking for specifically but reach out to me separately for any requests/etc. I should make a new post when I share my image. There's a lot of content not in the other combined images, with some space left for more.

Shoometsu

Quote from: incrediblehark on June 03, 2023, 10:42:14 PM

I have an hdd image I just finished based off of the 030 hdd image by Shoometsu, with games from the other public images merged where I could, and added a lot of new games that are not in the other ones. I'm ready to share it but was waiting on approval from Shoometsu just because my image is heavily based off theirs. This was built with a xvi in mind but should work with other models as well.

In fact, you nor anybody else need any permission from me to use the x68030 HDD image in your personal pojects. Aside from environment settings itself (and some ingame tweakings), all tools and game disk images I've used were made or shared by other people, so I'm not that sensitive about this.