News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

N64 Mods

Started by caphynehy, April 07, 2004, 10:10:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caphynehy

What can I do to an N64 besides modding for imports and adding/changing lights?
The closer you get to the light, the greater your shadow becomes.

Gord

Lawrence and I used to stick them in door frames to hold the door open back in 2000 or so.  I suspect one can still do that today.

caphynehy

Ouch.

The N64 is a great system. I still play mine just as much as my PS2.

Guest_Segasonicfan

I just figured out how to make my N64 portable....I ran it off 4 AAs today ^_^  I need to make a case for it and all....but it will be definitely cool when I'm done.  I just finished making my Saturn portable too ^_^

-Segasonicfan

Vertigo

How many times did you figure it out?

benzaldehyde

Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow!

You know, someone else has been working on something similar here.

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Lesmot

This feller does some mighty portables!

http://www.classicgaming.com/vcsp/News.htm

I am in love with him, and every boy.
Hey there, fancy pants!

caphynehy

QuoteI just figured out how to make my N64 portable....I ran it off 4 AAs
4 AAs?? How did you do that? The DC input from the AC adapter is 12v,3.3v, and 3.3v. 4 AAs are only 6v. Can you post pictures or a link to pictures?

12 v was useless in the n64, It was only used for giving +5v to the multiout and (I think) powering the DD64.

Vertigo

Quote12 v was useless in the n64, It was only used for giving +5v to the multiout and (I think) powering the DD64.
Interesting.

caphynehy

QuoteInteresting.
Very interesting. Do you have an FAQ type thing or instructions for how you made it portable? Or a picture?

Hojo_Norem

Quote12 v was useless in the n64, It was only used for giving +5v to the multiout and (I think) powering the DD64.
Thats a relief, I use the +12V line to power a cpu fan I fitted to keep the 3rd party expansion ram in check cause without it my EXP ram game lock up after a while, Majora's Mask and Quake 2 being the only exp ram games I own (with the exception of Smash Brothers, that crashes without the exp ram fan switched on and Im pretty sure that it isnt a exp ram game).

BTW: whats the quietest, smallest cpu fan that can be bought (and I don't mean P$ or Athlon CPU fans either!)
Formerly 'butter_pat_head'

phreak97

hmm.. i tried but i could not get my 64 to run without the 12v line.. i have a pal 64.. dunno if that makes a diff, but it definately didnt work with only 3.3v

EDIT:
im gonna double check that with a better power source..

RE-EDIT:
nope no good.. it refuses to run with no 12v.. with only the 12v connected the screen flicks when you power on but the power led doesnt light.. with only 3.3 connected the power led comes on but the screen doesnt show any sign of life.. with both connected all runs normal.. i used batterys to do this.

gannon

Yeah, the 12V line is used by other things on the n64, but it only requires 7.2V. You could replace the 7805 with a ldo 7805 so you could power the n64 off of lower than 7.2V, or you could use a 5V step-up converter so you could even use less than 5V to power the n64.

My Projects