Sharp X68000 Drive Issue (Solved)

Started by swisstoni, March 08, 2014, 06:32:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swisstoni

Just received my X68000 today in the post but sadly it appears to not be reading any disks (video below). Ive written 10 different xdf images using a guide online to floppys which went fine with no errors, so not sure if the drives are faulty or its the floppys, is this usual behaviour for faulty drives?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_2qCDphH_Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player

gabby32

From the rear, INTERNAL FDD switch in the correct position?

swisstoni

Thanks for replying, yes I've tried the switch in both positions (it's a Compact model) does the same :(

swisstoni

Found out the issue as the disk images were dim not xdf that's why the floppys wouldn't boot, now booting fine just need to sort out the low distorted sound issue out now......

emerald danjon

Hi,

sure you use the correct format for Write the disks?

neko68k

Bad sound is often a sign of bad caps. If you haven't replaced them, you should do it anyway.

swisstoni

Thanks just read the guide and will do that, also can a CF card be installed in the Compact model?

emerald danjon

You can find good guides for replaces the Capacitors for Compact...,but be careful is really easy broke the flat cable from FDD,s...,

in the work one of my FDD was broken,and still i dont know why,my humble opinion is the Compact model is really fragile,

i still have the photos from Fdd,s interior...maybe can help you in the process,

i dont remember on the FDD,s but in the Motherboard the caps are SMD horrible to remove if have corrosion...

swisstoni

Hi thanks for the info on the cables they look really fragile shame there's no guide on here showing how to open the case for the Compact going to be nightmare to check these chips on the motherboard!