Nec Super CdRom2 audio problem (maybe a cap)

Started by raggio252000, January 29, 2014, 03:35:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raggio252000

Hi! :)

I bought an old nec cdrom2.
The system works great, however I have an issue with the audio, it's not loud but after playing around 20 minutes the sound become normal, I think that it's a cap but I did not find a guide to repair this console. Anyone know where I can find it?

I did some pics of my system:

Andy-Antsinpants

Pcengine.freeforums.org and Pcenginefx.com Forums host guides for PCE/TG-16 cap replacements. If You don't feel like doing the repair by yourself, there are some helpful people around the net that do the job for a fee.

The full cap replacement helped my Turbo Duo to get proper sound again and prevented further destruction of the PCB due to leaking caps. Sometimes, the leaks aren't that visible at first, but become apparent when doing the repairs.

raggio252000

Thank you!
Yes, I'm able to repair it but I need to know where is or where are the audio caps on this board. I found a lot of turbo duo/r guides but not for the cdrom2. I'll check your links.

Andy-Antsinpants

I miss-spelt one of the links in my first post above, I fixed that for you.
Pcenginefx.com is pretty restrictive in terms of forums access. In case you aren't able to register within 2 weeks, let me know and I will forward you a copy of the complete S-CD-ROMĀ² repair guide thread (if there is any). Despite the access restrictions, both Pcenginefx.com and pcengine.freeforums.org are crowded with misbehaving people. Don't let these distract you from gathering the information you need, in fact there are still some helpful folks left in there.

EDIT: I found these:

Super CD-ROMĀ² Cap replacement chart (original thread):
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9544.0
Great guide with a lot of readworthy replies.

Repost of the same thread, but without replies. May lack updates and additional information:
http://pcengine.freeforums.org/repost-repair-guide-super-cdrom2-total-caps-t8.html