SegaCD Model 2 trouble!

Started by Gafanhotz, October 09, 2013, 12:08:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gafanhotz

Hello guys, I'm here with a new adventure, this time with a SegaCD Model 2, the lens inside it is an KSS-210A (the one with only one trim pot).

The only symptom besides the disc not spinning (even with the lens lightning up), is that is doesn't regonizes any disk on menu (REALLY?! :P), and well, the access led blinking no stop (this I know that is because it doesn't find any disc inside).

But just an ask: The CD motor, to start spinning needs to first wait for the lens to focus on the CD, so if the lens doesn't focus, it doesn't spin. Right?

Any help?  ;)

Fix_Metal

I'd say the momentary SPST that lets the bios know wheter the drive is open or not is stuck in the close position (conducting, it's a normal open SPST).
Something similar happened to me because I forgot some tape on it while modding the console.

The drive spins and the lens checks 2 or 3 times. That's the typical way for a cd-rom to begin its reading process.

Gafanhotz

That was the first thing I checked, at start it was really stuck, but I solved it, now it recognizes when the lid is open and closed (and shows it on screen). It just keeps saying that there is no CD on drive. Also I noticed the POT calibrated at 850... Which means, the leans is probably worn out. Someone already "tweaked" it ten years ago and the lens died after all that time. I've found a replacement lens, now I have to wait for it to arrive.

Also, I noticed 4 POT Trimmers on the side of PCB, what is the default "positions" for it? I think someone messed with it already.

Fix_Metal

Quote from: Gafanhotz on October 09, 2013, 09:35:03 AM
Also, I noticed 4 POT Trimmers on the side of PCB, what is the default "positions" for it? I think someone messed with it already.
If I'll have sometime tomorrow, I'm opening my MCD2 to show that for you mkay? 8)

Gafanhotz

Fix_Metal

Completly forgot to add the pics.
http://imageshack.us/g/1/10404385/
Hope they'll be useful. 8)