GameCube broken soldering points

Started by Gafanhotz, September 22, 2013, 11:04:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gafanhotz

Hello friends, I'm here to ask for your help about my GameCube!

I have an DOL-101 GC, and made the mistake of buying a XenoGC modchip to install on it (QoobSX already bought and on it's way to my home), but when I first installed this crap, it didn't work. I removed it and then noticed that the golden spots where you solder on, weren't there anymore.

Anyone knows if these golden spots where the XenoGC is soldered on, make any problem onto the console if damaged?

The QoobSX is soldered onto another different spots so no trouble, but if the removal of the spots where the XenoGC is installed damages permanently the disc reader, i'm done. =/

(From what I readed somewhere, the spots of XenoGC are testing spots, not needed to the functionality of the console, but I want to confirm that.)

Any help?

Thanks in advance!  ;D

Fix_Metal

XenoGC made me mad too. I reinstalled 4 times or so before getting it to work.
If you got the points out of the pcb, you are way too hard on soldering tip or either it's too hot/too big.
Other than that, I don't know. Just mount it and test it?

Gafanhotz

I think it's fault of the soldering iron, it's too hot.

But since I don't have an original game (one is in the mail service, but should take a while to come), I only could plug it and turn it on. The laser goes red and then shuts down (disk doesn't spin, as usual, I think) and the system boots up correctly to it's menu.

I only wanted to know if these pins really makes any difference to the system, because if not, and the games still playing correctly, the QooB SX chip should do it's job correctly.

Fix_Metal

Quote from: Gafanhotz on September 23, 2013, 08:38:42 AM
The laser goes red and then shuts down (disk doesn't spin, as usual, I think) and the system boots up correctly to it's menu.
Well, if I remember correctly my GC spins, as any other optical drive, to let the laser see wheter something readable is there (cd/dvd).
I only wanted to know if these pins really makes any difference to the system, because if not, and the games still playing correctly, the QooB SX chip should do it's job correctly.
Yea, I understood, but I don't know. I don't think this info is clearly available.

Gafanhotz

Well, I'll only discover when the game I bought arrives, otherwise I'll have to buy an repo part. ):

Thanks for the help, and I'd like to keep the thread opened, so futurely (in a few days) I can post the subsequent facts.

Gafanhotz

Update: Even with the broken pins the console still playing games (the Ghost Recon 2 that I've bought) very well. So, if anyone destroy the pins too, here the answer: It still works. But you can't use the XenoGC (crap!) anymore, use the QoobSX or QoobPro!