CRT Monitors and Machines Repair Information

Started by a24tanabe, September 10, 2013, 01:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a24tanabe

Hello,everyone.

I want to repair X68000s and CRT monitors(ex.CZ-600D).
I could get some information about X68000s in this site(Many thanks!),so I could repair 2 X68000s.
But I can get CRT repair information.

Could you please tell me the site where I can get service manual about X68000s and their CRT monitors?
I could get CZ-300C in this site, and I want to get more information especially about CRT monitors.

I know repairing CRT monitors myself is very dangerous.But I must do it.
I called SHARP customer service and asked about repair and service manual,but I was refused.

Any information are welcome! Please help me.

Thanks.

kamiboy

I hope your Japanese is pretty good, or you are out of luck what service manuals are concerned.

Edit:

Sorry Tanabe-san, didnt realise that you are actually a Japanese member. As I am sure you know you will have much better luck finding repair information on the monitors on Japanese websites.

As for repairing CRT monitors, replacing the capacitors is a good place to start.

a24tanabe

Thank you for replying ,Mr.kamiboy.
I'm not good at English ,so I'm not sure that I tell you in correct nuance.

I wonder that some people get service manuals in what way.
Sharp said service manuals are not open,so they can not distribute them to general users.
But I know that some people get them from service person probably in unofficial ways.

I get X68030 Compact's service manual from this site.
So I want to know how to get other manuals about X68000s and monitors.

I think that to repair monitors, I should replace all capacitor at first, too.
But I know my friend tried to that(about 100 capacitors!) ,but it didn't work.
About repairing X68000s, I think it is necessary to replace all capacitors about PSU.
But about other digital circuit,I'm not sure that is necessary.
Of cource it is desirable, but other risks (such as immature soldering trouble) is worried.
In PSU board, it is one side patterned board, but other boards are layered having thru-holes.
I'm not sure I can solder in proper ways.

My moniter shows horizontal center line. I think that vertical control circuit is broken.
But I don't know where in the moniter ,there is vertical control circuit.
It is not particular problem about CZ monitors, so general information about CRT is welcome.

Not just in japan,CRT and CRT's information is fading away.
I want to get repair manuals about CRT,but I can get only one book, and it was too old to apply recent CRT.
I need CRT repair information not just about CZ-600D.

Sorry for long note and funniest English.
All information is welcome.

Thanks.

BlueBMW

The 68030 manual came in an unusual lot off yahoo.jp  The seller had mentioned something about how it shouldnt be distributed... oops.  :-X

I dont know if there is any information on the sharp monitors in the inside/outside x68000 books or not.

caius

Quote from: a24tanabe on September 11, 2013, 09:51:49 AM

My moniter shows horizontal center line. I think that vertical control circuit is broken.
But I don't know where in the moniter ,there is vertical control circuit.
It is not particular problem about CZ monitors, so general information about CRT is welcome.

Yes right, first check the transistor of the vertical control (probably it's gone bad, if you don't know where it's located , google every transistor and see if they have this function), resolder  the flyback transformer and  CRT PCB solder points and check also ESR of the electrolytic capacitors.Let us know.

kamiboy

You might want to contact lukemorse1 on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/user/lukemorse1

He lives in Japan, has experience with repairing X68000 monitors and he speaks Japanese.

He is also really nice.

SuperDeadite

Quote from: kamiboy on September 12, 2013, 06:28:58 PM
You might want to contact lukemorse1 on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/user/lukemorse1

He lives in Japan, has experience with repairing X68000 monitors and he speaks Japanese.

He is also really nice.

I would seriously NOT recommend going to lukemorse1 for X68K tech questions.  This is the guy that sold people X68K computers with old Macintosh video adapters.........

kamiboy

Everyone makes mistakes, that is how we learn. I've seen him repair X68000 monitors on his channel, so he knows somethings. And if nothing else he might know about better sources of information.

caius

kamiboy

Hey man, that chip is dead, so I dont see any problem with that particular technique. Actually it is a pretty smart way of getting rid of an SMD if you do not have a heat gun, or are not partial to their use.

What is with the lukemorse hate on the net among modders? He gets the job done.

BlueBMW

My only experience with a luke morse machine was an x68000 expert with a horrible hack job atx swap.  It was a fire and dafety hazard all in one.  But otherwise, whatever :)

kamiboy

I think I've seen the video of him working on that one actually. Not his best mod, and he has a general slapdash tendency in his jobs, but he has saved many a piece of hardware that I would have judged as hopeless after a single glance.

a24tanabe

Thanks everyone.

I will investigate parts inside monitor,CZ-600D.
I have three CZ-600D.First one is good, second is showing center line,and third is perfectly broken.
I will take the third apart,and look into all parts.

And I will make contact with Mr.lukemorse1.
I can't judge if he has proper technics about repairing monitor.
But he may have any information about it.
And I will have make friends with many people about repairing X68000.

I have both inside/outside X68000 and X68030 inside/out books, but they don't have any information about monitors.

Information about repairing CRT moniter is very few,but I never give up.
I try it till I can be able to repair all CZ monitor.

Now I'm repairing XVI's PSU(80% is done).So after finishing it I will start investigating CZ-600D.

Many thanks to all people in this board!
I'll report later.

kamiboy

Good luck Tanabe-san, these wonderful machines must be perserved at any cost. I salute your efforts, one day I too hope to own an X68000 monitor.

BlueBMW

I have an extra x68000 monitor chassis in unknown condition if anyone wants to try and find a tube / shell to put it in.

lydux

I don't own original CZ-600D monitor, but I'm curious. Is someone there can post nice pictures of both components and solder side of its internal pcb ?

Mr.Tanabe : from the issue you describe and what I know, it comes from the vertical control circuit part (as you said). It consists generally into a single IC and some passive components around it.

I don't know very much of CRT monitors as I generally try as much as possible to stay away from very high voltage stuff... Remember there is about 15KV on the anode, so please take extra cautions when you'll get your hands inside !

Also, once you'll get it, please report us what you have done !  :) It will help us for sure.

I wish you best of luck !