Opening an X68k treasure chest

Started by BlueBMW, September 05, 2013, 01:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueBMW

What will you find inside?  Who knows!  Probably dead bugs and dust and blown capacitors... at least that's what I typically find in "junk" systems I get from Yahoo Japan...   This time I found a nice surprise.

A while back I picked up an XVI (CZ-634) system off Yahoo JP.   It was "junk" of course, but I figured it was probably fixable.  Finally got around to at least checking it out today.    The power supply was toast as usual, so I went about opening it up and to my surprise, someone had upgraded it with a hard drive!  Being a non HD unit, I didnt expect to find a hard drive, but someone at some point installed an original sharp 80mb drive.  Every time I've found a hard drive in a system its either been dead or empty.   I swapped in a working PSU just to test the system out and found out that the drive actually had some stuff on it.

Its all probably nothing of note, but I noticed that it seemed to load different drivers than normal.  It also had a folder labeled "games" that I'll be exploring a little more in depth.  Ill post some pictures up here of what the boot up screens were.  Let me know if theres anything cool I should concern myself with or if its all just boring crap hehe.

And a brief glance at what was in the games folder:

eidis

Excellent find, BlueBMW !

Could you please dump the font driver (this could be very valuable) and upload it to the FTP ?

Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

caius

Maybe you will find in this hard disk some rare games like Illumination Laser for example... :)
Please, if you can, do an image of it using a PC with a common SCSI card (I use a cheap Adaptec AHA-2940AU) and WinImage utility, thanks.

SuperDeadite

kamiboy

Mario?! Maaaaario!

Some sort of homebrew version for the X68000 maybe?

BlueBMW

Yeah its basically super mario bros 1   plays surprsingly good.

SuperDeadite

I have at least 3 versions of Super Mario Bros ports.  All are completely different.  None of them replace the good old NES cart.

kamiboy

Well that is certainly par for the course as far as creative mediums go. Nothing replaces the original.

neko68k

Can you image the drive and put it somewhere for us please? I'm interested in how actual users did things, historically, and I'd like to look around for myself.