Blaze PS2 VGA adaptor

Started by TuZhao, March 31, 2004, 05:48:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RARusk

Sent in my questions to Intersil last Sunday including one on the green tint problem. Rudy, from Intersil, has been trying to contact me by phone for the past couple of days. However, due to my work schedule, the first chance I'll get to talk to him is on Monday. I will try to post the results later that night.
Console hacking is like sex. For best results you got to know where to poke.....

RARusk

Finally got my answers from Intersil. They put out a paper called.....

A Simple Circuit Removes Sync

.....a long time ago. It contains three chips and some additional resistors and capacitors. The sync chip and the DC restore chip deal with the voltage level and the 2157 deals with the sync removal. This should be enough to remove the green tint.

There are some tweaks that can be done to the circuit. Rudy tells me that the 2157 (and the 2150) are being phased out. He recommends the EL8100 in it's place. You can hook up the 8100 the same way as the 2150 for sync removal. You can put in any sync chip (as long as it has a back porch output) in place of the 4581. Since we are dealing with a 31Khz signal, replace the 681K ohm (1%) resistor (on pin 5 of the 4581) with a 340K ohm (1%) resistor.

But the 4089 requires a -5VDC to operate properly as a DC restorer. The good news is that, according to Rudy, you can use a 555-timer based negative voltage generator to produce the -5VDC for the 4089.

This also means that there is no way to fit all of this within the Blaze VGA Adapter case. One may have to transfer all of the electronics to a larger case unless you don't mind a second box to handle the sync removal.

I must add that I have not built this circuit myself even though I have had this paper on my hard drive for some time. I was not aware, until today, that this circuit can be used to remove the green tint.  I hope to add this to my Component Video to RGB converter box that I am constructing.
Console hacking is like sex. For best results you got to know where to poke.....

fragment

hey, found a discussion on building VGA for PS2. They also have the diagram for building a SOG or non SOG cable. one of the members on there said his version worked fine for the games that support progressive. Thought I would share

http://www.ps2newz.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23129

fragment

OK I got my BLAZE VGA adapter today, and it wasn't displaying properly. I tried Soul Calibur II, booted in progressive. I could only view the top half of the image, but it was stretched full screen. I could only see the heads of the characters in a match, but could see all the way up to the health bars and names. The width seemed to be correct. when I tried using the built in Blaze software, I got worse results. I will post pictures later. Does this have to do with SOG problems? The weird thing is their literature in the box says that their cable should work with any VGA monitor that accepts 640*480 60hz, regardless of SOG capable. I wonder if the modifications we talked about would fix these video problems

ok, from what I have read, a PS2 component video cable (or any cable that has connections to all the pins) with a  LM1881, a few caps and a resistor is all you need. I have talked to a few people that by using this method were able to make a cable that works with SOG and non SOG monitors. I am not sure what the difference would be with these other circuits. By reducing the green tint, does that help compatability for the VGA cable?  

Kotosuke

I find the chip , TDA4851(and TDA4852)
TDA4851; Horizontal and vertical deflection controller for VGA/XGA and autosync monitors

It's can adjust the 31K/64K output of XGA/SVGA.
Maybe it can use in the adapt cable, convert the original 15K(?) RGB signal to 31.5/64K(or autosyth) B)

I'm reading this chip's datasheet.

ok, after not having success with the Blaze VGA properly displaying a VGA signal on my 32" multimedia monitor, I decided to do more research. I mentioned the link to another VGA discussion. Now the guy pointed me in the right direction, but unfortunately he had ALOT of errors on some of his diagrams. I later found out that the LM1881 is the secret to getting VGA on the PS2. There is a LM1881 found in the Blaze VGA adapters, but that adapter doesn't work on all monitors. I found a very simple solution to getting VGA from the PS2, a LM1881 in a VERY basic cicuit. Attached is a X-Box version of the LM1881 diagram, but it is very easy to apply this to a Ps2. I will show you my own diagram as soon as I get a chance. Also attached is a screenshot of Soul Calibur II.

Here is a link to the X-box guide:

http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/vga-cable.php

and a screenshot of the VGA on my 32" proscan multimedia monitor! Yeah finally got the PS2 to work!!!!

fragment

oops, I forgot to login..... =)

Here is a link to a screenshot since I can't host the picture here:

http://www.ps2-scene.org/forums/attachment...tachmentid=4341

fragment

ok, here is a updated diagram on the LM1881 VGA box. I used it back to back with a Blaze VGA adapter, and I found that it works just as good if not better. It has better compatability than the Blaze on various monitors.

BTW, Radio Shack didn't have a 680k resistor, but three 220k resistors in a row will do the trick!

Here is a link to the diagram...

http://www.ps2newz.net/forums/attachment.p...tachmentid=4474

Erik