SNES, Black and white image

Started by scarmullet, March 31, 2013, 06:17:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarmullet

I obtained two Super Nintendo systems in a small lot at the flea market. I hooked them up and the composite signal is only in black and white on both. I tried on several TVs, and I only get a black and white image. The RGB is intact, and I get a great picture. I opened up both, and I think someone tried a Component mod but messed up the chip. The board is burned and pins appear to be broken off.

I need solutions. I hear the S-ENC/ba6594af are off the shelf components and can be easily replaced just by removing the chip and putting the new one on. This may be hard, as the I mentioned before the board is burned.

I have another route, the MC1377 chip, which can take the RGB signal and give me a Composite and S-Video signal. Has anyone tried any of these options?

DaveJ-UK

I recall hearing that some GameCube or N64 video cables cause a black and white picture when used with a SNES.

Have you tried eliminating the cable as the cause?

Fix_Metal

Quote from: DaveJ-UK on April 13, 2013, 01:29:58 AM
I recall hearing that some GameCube or N64 video cables cause a black and white picture when used with a SNES.

Have you tried eliminating the cable as the cause?
He's talking about composite signal, which I assume he's using RCA leads for hookup.

@Scarmullet: some board pics would be more useful