Snes wont boot, but it tries. help needed.

Started by phreak97, March 24, 2013, 09:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phreak97

I have two consoles like this now so I thought it might be worth a shot.

Games and connections are clean.
Power on gives the normal flickers onscreen then nothing.
Games which power on with a logo onscreen (mario kart for example) display the logo perfectly but do not progress past it, it just stays there forever. It must run for at least one frame then freeze.

Where do I start?

DaveJ-UK

I have two SNES consoles like this, both PAL UK models. One was like it when I got it and the other displayed these symptoms after I transplanted a working motherboard from a horribly yellowed SNES into the shell of a broken console with a nice clean shell. It was discharged when I opened it so I don't know what I did. Normally that only takes out the fuse anyway.

Anyway, I think it is going to be fatal. The SNES has various video modes so I would guess that the intro/logo is displayed using a video mode that is undamaged, then when it switches to another video mode it needs to use the damaged part of the PPU to make it work, so after that you get a blank screen. In Street Fighter 2, the graphics are all just garbled on mine.

I have tested all other components independtly so I'm sure it is the console. The sound works fine.

Fix_Metal

Couldn't that be a permanent latchup of the CPU synch?
Have you tried running that @ different Vsync (if your's NTSC, switch over 50Hz, the opposite if your's PAL)?