News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

x68000 VI Redzone Info

Started by bateman82, February 13, 2013, 09:08:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bateman82

Hi,
I'm new here so first of all hi to everyone! I'm Luca from Italy and I'm an old retrogamer.
Recently I've buyed from yahoo japan a x68k Compact xv REDZONE, here's the auction's link:
http://page10.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m109328477

Unlucky is listed, as you can see, as junk, so I'm not sure if it will work. I don't have any soldering skills so I think it will be difficult for me to try to repair it. I know (because I've read almost every thread in this forum) that it may have a tons of problems: capacitors on the mainboard, faulty floppy drives, not working audio output, dead psu etc...
I got to way at least two months for the shipping because I'd like to buy other stuff from Japan, so it's better for me to wait and save some money for the expansive japanese shipping.

One of my friend can sell me a x68k compact vi cz-674c: I know that the REDZONE is a "normal" x68k vi at the core, just upgraded.
Do you think that is possible to replace the (possible) faulty pieces of hardware inside my REDZONE with the ones inside the normal X68K VI (from my friend)?
If I will have a positive answer to this difficult question I will buy the x68k from my friend (he says that he bought it two years ago from yahoo japan but he doesn't know if it was recapped, in any case I've seen that it is in a perfect working condition).

ps: For Bluebmw, as you can see I've just buyed an x68000, it's a pity because I'd really like to buy one of yours (if only you replied to my private messages).

thanks in advance,
best regards,

BlueBMW

Glad you found a system.  Red zone units are quite rare.  My understanding is that the red zone part is basically an overclock mod.  You may be able to swap parts with a regular compact but the red zone overclock parts will have to be resoldered to the replacement mainboard.

My apologies for failing to respond in the messages.  I was having trouble articulating how to say what I was thinking.  I felt that you were basically expecting me to sell a repaired XVI full size system for $400 shipped.  Just shipping was going to cost me $150 so in the end I would only get $250 which feels very low to me.  But I am glad you found a system.  Hopefully you can repair it easily.

If you run into more trouble, please feel free to ask!

bateman82

Thank you so much BlueBMW for your fast reply!

QuoteMy apologies for failing to respond in the messages.  I was having trouble articulating how to say what I was thinking.  I felt that you were basically expecting me to sell a repaired XVI full size system for $400 shipped.  Just shipping was going to cost me $150 so in the end I would only get $250 which feels very low to me.

I'm very sad because, maybe for my poor english, I was not able to explain. I wrote to you that i will pay 500 $ (shipping included) for your repaired xvi, without ANY accessories (no keyboard, mouse, cable etc...). I thought it was a good price. If you chenge your mind I'm still here.

In your experience, what is the most common failing cause of x68k system? the psu? bad capacitors?

Best regards,
Luca

BlueBMW

The biggest problem is the cost of shipping from the US to Italy.  It was going to cost about $150 just in shipping.  So that would be like selling the system for only $350 whoch seems a little low for a rebuilt XVI.

Regarding common failures,  on compact units capacitors are a major failure point and should all be replaced.  The power supplies are also prone to cap failure and should also be recapped.  The compact PSUs arent as bad as the full size units when it comes to failing though.

bateman82

QuoteThe biggest problem is the cost of shipping from the US to Italy.  It was going to cost about $150 just in shipping.  So that would be like selling the system for only $350 whoch seems a little low for a rebuilt XVI.

So waht do you think about? Do you think that it's better for me to buy the x68k vi from my friend (he doesn't know if it was recapped, but it's in a perfect working condition) or wait the arrive of x68k redzone from japan (remeber, I got no soldering skills)?

Thanks a lot!

BlueBMW

Is the one from your friend a compact xvi or full size?  If it is a compact, I suspect it will need capacitors eventually.  There is probably someone in Europe that can do the repair work.  (Eidis, lydux, ??)

bateman82

It's a compact one but I've seen it works perfectly. On the other hand I have doubts on the working condition of the REDZONE, since it has been listed as junk.
So what is your advice? PS: I don't think that someone in Europe will fix my redzone, because, as you can see, nobody (except you!), has answered to my request for an help!

BlueBMW

Surely there is someone.  This forum moves fairly slowly.  Regulars dont come on every day.

If your friends system works good I would use it while we figure out how to get the Redzone fixed.  Absolute worst case, I can recap it, but as we have discovered, shipping between Europe and the US is quite expensive.

caius

Hi bateman82, you are lucky, I'm from Italy
Are we sure it's only a matter of capacictors replacing on the Compact REDZONE?If yes, there are no problem, I've done this operation  lot of times.But I can fix also other kind of problems (excluding ASIC troubles, obviously)

In italiano:
Ciao bateman82, io direi di aspettare prima l'arrivo del tuo Compact REDZONE e poi dare un giudizio definitivo sul suo stato di funzionamento, anche io spesso ho acquistato oggetti dal Giappone venduti come"junk" che poi si sono rilevati perfettamente funzionanti (come il mio CompactXVI).In ogni caso sei hai bisogno di assistenza anche per il CompactXVI del tuo amico puoi sempre contattarmi qui o mandarmi un messaggio in privato.
Ciao

lydux

Hi bateman92,

Of course we can help you. But I think you should wait for it before begging for help as we can't give advices without knowing exact symptoms.
Plus, I don't understand correctly what the sellers say, but it appears to me it was working some years ago, he just don't know now and will ignore any refund/repair in case of bad shipping conditions. Also, for a dead Compact REDZONE, there is too many bidders on this auction that could spend more than 20.000¥. Looks like a bit too much to me...

So, be patient ! :)

bateman82

thanks a lot to everyone for their support!

Caius, I've sent you a Pm, grazie ancora!

Of course we can help you. But I think you should wait for it before begging for help as we can't give advices without knowing exact symptoms.
Plus, I don't understand correctly what the sellers say, but it appears to me it was working some years ago, he just don't know now and will ignore any refund/repair in case of bad shipping conditions. Also, for a dead Compact REDZONE, there is too many bidders on this auction that could spend more than 20.000¥. Looks like a bit too much to me...

So, be patient ! :)

Lydux, do you think for me it'better to wait for the redzone or buy the x68000 compact from my friend (price 330 euro, with everything floppy mouse and usb floppy drive)?
Do you think the redzone was overpriced? because my ideal x68000 was this:
http://page5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e134710879
the original price was 36000 yen, and the day the auction ended (with NO bidders so I had to pay for it "ony" 36000 yen) that bastards of noppin.com refused to bid, because I have a paid shipping opened with them. So, for this idiot rule, I've lost my dream machine for a price that I can afford (36000 yen). I was very disappointed, I've waited months to buy my ideal x68000, and I lost my one and only change. I was so disappointed that I bid on the auction for the redzone without any real motivation, and, unlucky, I won.
So, the sad story ends. Lydux, what do you think about?

best regards

lydux

Lydux, do you think for me it'better to wait for the redzone or buy the x68000 compact from my friend (price 330 euro, with everything floppy mouse and usb floppy drive)?
You have already bought the REDZONE, right ? So, if you wish to have a second one, it's up to you ! I'm personnaly not here for advising you on how many x68k you should buy, just to help you with x68000 troubleshootings.

Do you think the redzone was overpriced?
No, I just mean 20000¥ is way too overpriced for a dead unit ! Which let me think it's already working ! But I might be wrong... REDZONE are pretty rare you know (thus, REDZONEs are a standard Compact with a little piece of hardware that will slighly overclock the CPU, plus a red sticker on the front ; nothing more).

because my ideal x68000 was this:
http://page5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e134710879
Just want to know : what's an ideal x68000 to you ?

bateman82

QuoteYou have already bought the REDZONE, right ? So, if you wish to have a second one, it's up to you ! I'm personnaly not here for advising you on how many x68k you should buy, just to help you with x68000 troubleshootings.
Just ONE x68000 Lydux BUT, as I said before:
QuoteOne of my friend can sell me a x68k compact vi cz-674c: I know that the REDZONE is a "normal" x68k vi at the core, just upgraded.
Do you think that is possible to replace the (possible) faulty pieces of hardware inside my REDZONE with the ones inside the normal X68K VI (from my friend)?
If I will have a positive answer to this difficult question I will buy the x68k from my friend (he says that he bought it two years ago from yahoo japan but he doesn't know if it was recapped, in any case I've seen that it is in a perfect working condition).
Since I don't have any soldering skills I can replace almost everything from the redzone with the hardware of the working unit of my friend (except the motherboard, of course), then reassembly and sell the x68000 compact (with the (supposed) dead hardware of the redzone inside) on ebay, listed as not working. Do you understand why I'm thinking about buying that unit (the one from my friend)?

QuoteJust want to know : what's an ideal x68000 to you ?
This is my ideal x68k:
Quotehttp://page5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e134710879
the original price was 36000 yen
A comlplete x68k compact fully recapped etc (like new..) with a lot of accessories really useful like external hard drive and mo drive all for 36000 yen. If your browser cannot translate that yahoo japan auction here's the translation:

"Is a set of peripherals that can be used immediately and SHARP X68000 Compact (CZ-674C).

2MB of internal memory is standard.
During the exhibition (Nippon Chemi-Con, Nichicon, etc. SANYO OS-CON) in some of the reliability of domestic electrolytic capacitor, all the power supply unit, motherboard, FDD, expansion boards, JOYSTICK port, such as a keyboard was stored state long have to be replaced. The power supply unit for the replacement part such as a photocoupler to other parts.
I think that is a pretty good overall finish. Upon exchange, have also cleaned substrate. (Power supply unit board eyes 3 photos)

In addition, because it is replaced with new SMD op amp, headphone amplifier as well, you can enjoy clear sound.
(The volume was small and the noise picked up like crazy before the replacement, was cleared surprisingly)

Are also replaced with new rechargeable batteries for SRAM.

Because it is already full maintenance, in relation to the behavior is very strong.
Good also works with two floppy drives, head cleaning has been exhibited before.

For appearance, because there was a bald painting, after painting with blurred part in the color of syngeneic, has painted part unpainted such as the side (blowing the overall clear matte to prevent baldness paint the future no)
I think as long as you do not often see well that there is no discomfort. There are some scratches on the side, otherwise can be seen in the beautiful state.

Good keyboard action, but also mouse. Mice are ready to operate smoothly decomposed after cleaning, silicon oil is applied.

(Have to replace HDD 1GB of contents is the case made of IO-DATA connection SCSI), MO drives (connected SCSI: 230MB made by PINNACLE MICRO, seek bigger sound) is attached as a peripheral device, the hard disk drive 1GB. I'm all good behavior.

It is also used, 12 pieces (230MB) MO IBM pre-formatted disk (system disk five of which are new, and one is) to give 18 pieces (2HD) floppy disk.
(I think the delivery destination and work out if the system Windows9x) MO is useful because it can also be used to exchange data with Windows

Written to a floppy disk have been published on the Internet, the hard disk and Human68k Ver3.02.
Because you set up to be mounted at boot OS also MO drive has reached a point where it is readily available HDD, both MO.

It is a set of aligned one street that is necessary for immediate use others, such as cables.

Detail the content of the exhibition is as follows.
--------------------------------
(The included Compact) · Keyboard lid is two expansion slots (CZ-674C) ※ X68000 Compact body
(The included Compact) mouse

· HDD (1GB)
· MO drive (230MB)
· IBM formatted floppy disk copies all 12 MO disk (230MB) ×: system disk (Human68k Ver3.02) × 1, × 17 blank discs

Conversion and display cable + (mini D-Sub15 pin)
※ You can display as long as the monitor is compatible with D-Sub connector can be connected to a common body of X68000.

· SCSI cable (Amphenol [half-pitch] ⇔ pin type [half-pitch])
· SCSI cable (pin type [half-pitch] ⇔ pin type [half-pitch])
※ The number needed to connect HDD, of MO.

Printer Cable
-------------------------------- "
THIS is my ideal x68k, for 36000 yen.

kamiboy

Even if you replace the power supply with one from a working compact your Red Zone might still not function.

The compact series have problems with surface mount capacitors on their motherboard, so if that is not already the problem then it will most likely become a problem as some point.

Look for a local electronic technician who can replace the capacitors for you. There are charts online detailing the values and locations of each capacitor so you can show those to him to get a quote.

That is your best bet.

Here is a page with the full compact, and compact redzone capacitor chart:

http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=4877.0