Replaced connector in SNES model 2; need to hold cartridge forward.

Started by CZroe, September 04, 2012, 09:45:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CZroe

Several years ago (~2004) I replaced the cartridge connector in an SNES model 2. The original had serious damage when I bought it at a thrift store.

The replacement was very different and hard to fit due to the rows of pins not having as much space between them as the rows on the original connector. I had to completely remove all solder, flare the pins apart, insert and solder one complete row, then work the other row in and push down until I could do the same there (very hard as there is almost always one pin that catches and hold all the rest). I seem to recall it working fine before putting the case back on, so it may be that it site lower than the original, but I don't think so (it feels like it seats fully).

The game pak doesn't move much, but if I hold the cartridge forward when I turn the SNES on, it works fine until I let go. I usually have to wedge a piece of paperboard in the back to get it to stay on while I play. I have several SNES units but I want to go ahead and finish restoring this one. Any idea what I can do to improve the cartridge connection? Can I bend the springy internal pins to make better contact?