News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

Phalanx HDD install?

Started by SuperDeadite, August 03, 2012, 03:35:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperDeadite

I'm curious as to why Phalanx is using 2HDboot for both game disks in the V3 image.  The game has it's own self-installer but requires the system disk to launch.  Couldn't the game install itself, and then 2hdboot is only needed for the system disk (and intro disk)?  Or is there a technical issue preventing this?

caius

Quote from: SuperDeadite on August 03, 2012, 03:35:48 AM
I'm curious as to why Phalanx is using 2HDboot for both game disks in the V3 image.  The game has it's own self-installer but requires the system disk to launch.  Couldn't the game install itself, and then 2hdboot is only needed for the system disk (and intro disk)?  Or is there a technical issue preventing this?

Hi,
how to launch the installation procedure in Phalanx?I'm trying it without success.
Anyway I have  installed (for real , not using 2hdboot) almost all the  games in GAMES4 directory.Regarding the games in your XDF_ARCHIVE, Kamikaze Fither is a bad dump (it contain only .PCM files), YSIII and Choujin are not installable at all because they use non standard partitions  like Naious, Motos and few others trackloaders (the ones who don't show any directory entries) .

SuperDeadite

To run Phalanx installer, hold [登録] AND [OPT1] while the game boots.  Note, you can only install the game itself, not the intro.   Thanks for the info about the other games.

caius

OK, thanks.I get this screen:

If I press a joypad button it goesn on.Where am I wrong?

P.S.
Note that I'm using XM6 emulator and not the real hardware.

SuperDeadite

Says "no acceptable drive found, push button to continue."  I'd assume it means no hard drive, or not enough space.  I never messed with HDD images in XM6, but on my real machine, it works fine.

caius

Ok, I managed to install it (I use a SASI HDD image instead of a SXSI-SCSI one).I noticed a folder called "PHALANX" has been created in the root of the HDD.Is the system disk yet needed to launch it?

SuperDeadite

Yes, system disk is normally needed to boot the game.

SuperDeadite

Ok just reinstalled on my machine, and after the installer you only need to mount Disk1 with 2HDBoot (or the intro).  Disk2 can be deleted completely.  Would be nice to run it fully off the HDD though.

caius

Sadly Phalanx is protected (disk A only , I presume), you can see it by launching in pure DOS the  !Start.bat or Start2.bat of this archive (after extracting in a folder of your X68000 HDD all the files ):

http://www.mediafire.com/?l6lss6b6vyh769k

A screen will appears saying "NO COPY".Infact in Disk A there is a file called "NOCOPY.AH"
I think someone with ASM skills could patch this check  (a IOCS _B_DRVCHK, maybe?) to allow the full HDD instalaltion

SuperDeadite

I ran my original Phalanx System Disk through proemu, and it found the unreadable sectors and generated these files. 

http://nfggames.com/x68000/Uploads/phalanxtype10.rar

eidis

Hi !

type10.x is not compatible with the already dumped disk images:

Phalanx (1991)(Zoom)(Disk 1 of 3)(System)
Phalanx (1991)(Zoom)(Disk 1 of 3)(System)[a]
Phalanx (1991)(Zoom)(Disk 1 of 3)(System)[a2]

Could you dump the contents of the original Disk1 and upload them to the FTP ?

Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

caius

Quote from: eidis on August 11, 2012, 06:37:33 PM
Hi !

type10.x is not compatible with the already dumped disk images:

Phalanx (1991)(Zoom)(Disk 1 of 3)(System)
Phalanx (1991)(Zoom)(Disk 1 of 3)(System)[a]
Phalanx (1991)(Zoom)(Disk 1 of 3)(System)[a2]

Could you dump the contents of the original Disk1 and upload them to the FTP ?

Eidis

Yes, the same type10.x and type10.dat are generated when Proemu doesn't find any kind of the covered protections.This will happen on real machine.Under emulation, instead, type8.x and type8.dat are generated.