The next Turbografx / PC Engine project

Started by duo_r, July 31, 2012, 05:21:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

duo_r

ok Lawrence, so now that the controller mod is done for Turbo Express, it is time for my next project.

What I need to know is the pinouts of the Shuttle Expansion slot (or even the Turbografx expansion slot) documented as to what pins they connect to on the HU62XX chips? I am going to start examining myself, but if it is already documented that will really save me some time.

I know this documents what the pins do, but is there anything that shows where they go?

http://www.gamesx.com/misctech/pcebp.php

Take a guess what I am trying to do next.....    ;D

NFG

I have a schematic diagram that I haven't worked on for more than ten years, but it was pretty accurate when I checked last time.  =)

Maybe it'll give you a head start, at least.

duo_r

that is incredibly helpful, but styding the Netlist it looks like there are alot of common points on the HU62XX chips and the expansion ports.

Looking at your diagram it appears alot of the A series connectors are all connected to each other? Any idea how much of the wiring exists on this for Turbo Express? Maybe you can see where I am going with this?  ;)

NFG

by 'A series' I am guessing you mean the Address lines?  Well, there's two sets - one for the RAM communication, and one for the card port.  If you're thinking to add an expansion port for the CD system, note that most of the ports you'd need are present on the card slot.  I considered making a CD-capable Shuttle or Express by using a faux-card and then a secondary connector for the single missing line.   Or, thought I never really worked it out, you might re-purpose one of the card lines to do the job.  /CE or /OE are probably not required 'cause disabling the chip that's not even there is pointless, right? 

duo_r

I am actually trying to use an expansion port accessory, so I don't think I need all the lines. Yes I believe the address lines, like A01-A20.

So the lines that connect to the card slot can be connected there? That will make this a ton easier to do instead of soldering to the tiny HU chips. I need the minimum pins necessary to make the accessory work, going to do some testing to see what is required.

Quote from: Lawrence on July 31, 2012, 09:39:04 AM
by 'A series' I am guessing you mean the Address lines?  Well, there's two sets - one for the RAM communication, and one for the card port.  If you're thinking to add an expansion port for the CD system, note that most of the ports you'd need are present on the card slot.  I considered making a CD-capable Shuttle or Express by using a faux-card and then a secondary connector for the single missing line.   Or, thought I never really worked it out, you might re-purpose one of the card lines to do the job.  /CE or /OE are probably not required 'cause disabling the chip that's not even there is pointless, right? 

NFG

Yeah, you'll find that the cart port address lines (not the RAM address lines) are the same , electrically speaking, on the chip, card and expansion ports.  Tap 'em from wherever's easiest.

I have a dozen Kisado adaptors kicking around, if you're going to consider the card port it might make your job easier to use one to tap the right signals.  If so, let me know and I'll see if I actually still have them (they might have been lost in the flood).