Fm Towns Help - Intermittent cd reading issues

Started by mamejay, May 24, 2012, 10:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamejay

Hey guys,
I was recently given a FM Towns console to check over and try and get going.
Its strange.
The console works fine when its cold and as long as you do not switch it off  from the intial cold boot it reads disks fine.
If you play a game for like 5 minutes then switch off and change the disk the disk access light will not flash at all and it will not read any disks.

I have cleaned the laser and checked over what I could and replaced all the CAPs on the CD board just in case but I am still getting the same issue.
I have checked for any components over heating on the CD board but everything seems normal.

i am sure the CD laser itself is fine and is something else wrong with it.
Any suggestions?  Not much information on this console.
Thanks!

kendrick

This rings a very faint bell. How are the floating CD drive mounts? Nice and soft, with appropriate give and flex? I remember there was an issue with some of the stranger Sega CD drives made by Sony, where the mounts would seize up after warming up. Swapping a disk in that state could mess with alignment, even though the lens is fine and everything works initially. That's just a dumb guess, but if you've thoroughly checked ou the laser then the physical moving parts are the next step.

mamejay

Thanks for the response.  No i don't think this is the problem as the hardware really is in mint condition.
The problem happens even when you hit reset and not change a disk or power cycle the unit with out removing the disk. 
The read access will not light up at all but the disk spins.