Interest Check - Joystick Adapters

Started by BlueBMW, March 04, 2012, 01:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueBMW

It seems original X68000 and MSX pads and joysticks are a little difficult and sometimes expensive to find. I tested out a prototype adapter to use genesis / mega drive controllers on an X68000 or MSX system.   The D pad and buttons B and C are used,  Button A and START are not.

I would have rather have been able to adapt PC Engine pads to the system, but that would be a little more technically challenging because of the way the signals are multiplexed in the PCE pad versus the Mega Drive pad.

Here's an approximate cost breakdown:

For 50 units:

Boards $4.00 each
Connectors $1.30 / board
Chips $0.40 each

So $5.70 total to produce.  Add a little money for solder, so call it $6 even.  Add a $1 for a mailer and $1.30 to $2.00 for shipping in the USA, or $2.00 to $3.00 for international.  Comes out to $9 to $10 shipped.  Add $2 each for my time to assemble / test / package them to come to a total of $12 each.

Would there be any interest in having these made available at $12 shipped each?  If so, I'll look into getting them built.  It would take about a month to have them in hand ready to ship out.

Here's the prototype / test unit I built:

Here's what the board layout looks like:  (approx 2" x 1.3")

jetblue

Opethian

eidis

This project looks very promising. Might I suggest implementing the adapter in similar fashion as Tototek  ? The reason I say it is because if you will solder both connectors to the PCB and the PCB will be plugged into the X68000 joystick port, there is a very high risk that the socket on X68000 side might get damaged due to passionate gameplay (when the joystick gets pulled unintentionally in various directions). You could use a short ~15cm/5.9inch extension cable which  will connect X68000 with the adapters case.

Here are some examples:

http://www.tototek.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=23&zenid=bb10f9lpma5im2mqldu9eun5b1

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

BlueBMW

I thought about it some more and I think I can make it all fit inside a DS9 hood.  I just need a single inverter, a full out 7404 is a little overkill since I only use one of the inverters.   I'll be tinkering with it, but I'd say I could make them even cheaper (without a custom PCB) and it would just look like a cable extension.

I'll update as soon as I hammer out the design.

Quote from: eidis on March 06, 2012, 07:31:38 AM
This project looks very promising. Might I suggest implementing the adapter in similar fashion as Tototek  ? The reason I say it is because if you will solder both connectors to the PCB and the PCB will be plugged into the X68000 joystick port, there is a very high risk that the socket on X68000 side might get damaged due to passionate gameplay (when the joystick gets pulled unintentionally in various directions). You could use a short ~15cm/5.9inch extension cable which  will connect X68000 with the adapters case.

Here are some examples:

http://www.tototek.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=23&zenid=bb10f9lpma5im2mqldu9eun5b1

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

eidis

IMHO the custom PCB would be a huge overkill. How about using two DB9 shells on both sides and soldering the inverter in one of them ? Sadly the DB9 shell does not allow the DB9 connector to be plugged deep enough into the X68000 Joystick socket. However, if we trim off the plastic from shell which holds DB9 connector into place and make excessive use of a glue gun, it could be possible to keep it fully functional, visually neat and would decrease the cost to produce.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

lydux

You can also use a single NOT gate in smd like SN74LVC1G04 fitting on a very small pcb.
Or using something around eidis idea, and if it can fit, a TTL based inverter : http://www.play-hookey.com/digital/experiments/ttl_inverter.html

Good luck !

NFG

I'm really confused by this schematic, what's the inverter for?  If you want MD buttons B and C to be active all the time, just wire the output_select (MD pin 7) to GROUND.  That way you get UDLRBC all the time. 

Why are you inverting the X68 OUT signal and connecting that to MD pin 7?

lydux

Quote from: Lawrence on March 09, 2012, 09:23:24 AM
I'm really confused by this schematic, what's the inverter for?  If you want MD buttons B and C to be active all the time, just wire the output_select (MD pin 7) to GROUND.  That way you get UDLRBC all the time.  

Why are you inverting the X68 OUT signal and connecting that to MD pin 7?

Hum.. You mean +5v for getting UDLRBC ? GND, you will get UDLRAStart.

BTW, I guess the "out" signal (pin 8 ) of x68k act like the "select" signal (pin 7) of Genesis pad, except that it's inverted (+5v=AB, GND=CD).
So, this adapter is designed only for a retail 4 buttons Genesis controller.

For reminder (and maybe update ?) : http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=controls:msxstick

NFG

Well I just opened up an MD pad and verified the info on the wiki is correct.  You were right about GND vs +5V, but you won't get Left or Right this way:

+5V to MD pin 7 will get you UDLRBC
GROUND will get you UD--A+START.  

So put +5v to pin 7  and get what we're after.  Again, what's with the inverter?  =)

Also, there's no SELECT signal from the X68 normally.  This might be how six button pads, the Chelnov 3-button MD pad adaptor,  and the Crazy Climber twin-pad work, but the standard controller has only two buttons plus UDLR.

BlueBMW

Well that definitely simplifies it :)  I just heard of inverting the "out" signal which is why I did it that way.  Didnt think for a second about just using the 5v line lol!  Well in that case its super simple and doesnt require a 7404.

Quote from: Lawrence on March 09, 2012, 11:18:03 AM
Well I just opened up an MD pad and verified the info http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=controls:megadrive_genesis_controller_3]on the wiki is correct.  You were right about GND vs +5V, but you won't get Left or Right this way:

+5V to MD pin 7 will get you UDLRBC
GROUND will get you UD--A+START.  

So put +5v to pin 7  and get what we're after.  Again, what's with the inverter?  =)

Also, there's no SELECT signal from the X68 normally.  This might be how six button pads, the Chelnov 3-button MD pad adaptor,  and the Crazy Climber twin-pad work, but the standard controller has only two buttons plus UDLR.

eidis

How about making a dual mode adapter with a switch where you can swhich from two button to six button mode which is used for SF2 ?

http://www.gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=controls:x686button

Eidis

StarshipUK

Where these adapters ever made? If not does anyone have any ideas of anyone else who created something similar?

phreak97

I could make one for whoever is interested I guess. I'm in australia though so post is higher