Strange sound diferences...

Started by Agentspikey95, March 18, 2004, 01:15:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agentspikey95

I used to notice this on my dreamcast, certain actions would permanently change the sound, i can't remember what used to cause it...it happened all the time in games like jet grind radio and music oriented stuff like that, but it never happened in my heavy-music games like sonic adventure, 1 and 2, test drive 6 and railroad tycoon 2. it was weird, like the drums would change in the sonic shuffle tracks, music would start differently, now i had a problem like this reading various songs by the hives on a cdr, and after playing in adobe audition, i found that the strange sound differences on my PC was actually the cd-drive reading only one side of the audio signal. could my dreamcast? i know there were many a weekend where i ran the thing for 12 hours straight sometimes, playing sonic adventure and stuff but i couldn't go back and compare it because nobody i knew at the time had a dreamcast. Sadly, i haven't had the patience to research it, because i haven't had much time to play my DC since i actually started doing my schoolwork. and i kinda got used to the different sounds, i can still pick it up from time to time.

Is my ears going south or could this be something that's actually happening?
Why are you reading this?

Vertigo

Check the connections of the left and right audio in the machine and the cable, you could have intermittent disconnecting somewhere.

Lesmot

It's most likely cable or connection problems, or could be the DC A/V pinout is messed up and shorting. It seems weird that the drive wouldn't read just one audio track and not have any other disk read errors, but ya' never know! So, really, I don't know. Try some different cables.
Hey there, fancy pants!

Agentspikey95

Maybe this?  before i had my current personal tv, i used to go around and switch between the living toom TV's and my grandfather's old tv, which was a JVC thing. Whenever i hooked it up to that, it would cause said problems, and it kept doing it on all the TV's  even after i disconnected it from there.  i haven't really noticed any new changes, and the sound difference only rears it's ugly head during that strange hippie level into music sometimes, as of since i last played it. Could the TV have been messing with the sound circuitry? i know that thing had a lot of problems over it's life.  

Lesmot

The JVC would have to have some pretty serious wiring problems to send voltage down a single audio channel, which would cause a short in the DC. The RCA connectors can become loose inside and cut in and out, on the DC A/V out, or the TV audio in. Just try a different cable first and then play the media that caused you the most audible trouble and post back to tell me what happened. I'm all interested now!  :)  
Hey there, fancy pants!

Agentspikey95

ok, i'll experiment now that i have an entire week on my hands.