[SNES] "new" cartridge not working

Started by djlooka, July 22, 2011, 11:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djlooka

Hi everyone,
This morning I bought a new cartridge of "Daffy Duck - The Marvin Missions" (PAL).
Tried it on my PAL SNES and it won't boot. The first time the screen was stuck on a lilac colour, then the next times just black screen.
The game was in its original box, so it's kinda weird.
I opened the cartridge and it's a plain simple SNVC-1AON-30 board, which has 2 roms, 1 cap and 1 resistor (which look fine). It's the same kind of cart as some other games I own.

Any suggestions? How do I fix it?
If there's no way to fix it, tomorrow I'll bring it back to the shop and exchange it with some MegaDrive games...

imparanoic

try isopropol alcohol and a cotton bud stick, clean the metal contacts on the cart, then try it

djlooka

Thank you for your quick answer :)
I'm going to try it, even if the contacts look very shiny and new.

djlooka

Bad news: still no video nor sound.
It's a pity since the cart looked perfect...
Browsed a bit on the internet, my guess is the rom is faulty, so I'm going to return the cart tomorrow, unless anyone has a new idea to try :)

djlooka

I have exchanged the cart with 2 MegaDrive games...
Thank you @imparanoic for your help anyway :)

My guess is it was a faulty rom.

l_oliveira

I recently repaired an Super Metroid cartridge that had a fault on the board. One of the pins of the smaller ROM (it's a 24MBIT game) broke, making that chunk of the game data unreadable.

The game would show the NINTENDO logo and then crash on a black screen.

I suspect the cartridge was either dropped or actually tossed on the wall in a spite of rage from the former owner.

Now repaired, it works and plays great.

djlooka

Mine was from a toy shop who still had that one new, unopened, sealed cart :)

CZroe

I guess the SNES works fine with other games? I have one that has similar issues unless I hold the game pak forward, but the connector isn't original.