Jap. Controller, Modded PAL snes?

Started by overtune1928, March 10, 2004, 04:37:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

overtune1928

I'm about to get my hands on a pair of SFC-controllers too hook up with my PAL snes, and according to www.gamesx.com/misctech/eurosnescontrol.htm it should work after a simple soldering modification. However, I've seen some webpages claiming that Jap. Controllers won't work with US-sneses, which makes me kind of concerned... Will it really work?

Anyone got experience of this?

NFG

The US and Japanese pads are the same, it's only the Euro ones that differ.  Anyone who says JP pads don't work on US consoles is spreading vicious, evil lies.

phreak97

that link seems dead... i need that mod myself but i cant get into it.

edit:
today i tried a super famicom controller on my PAL snes.. it worked. i then opened up my snes to see why it worked.. it turns out the newer 1-cpu snes consoles come with a different pcb behind the controller ports, it already allows the use of usa and jpn controllers. it has the same pcb as the super famicom, it even has shvc instead of snsp printed on it.
thats even more proof pal controllers will work on us or jpn consoles

CZroe

QuoteThe US and Japanese pads are the same, it's only the Euro ones that differ.
Except that, unlike US controllers, the SFC controllers are unbelievably short. You have to sit on the floor with the console on the floor two feet away from you to use them. Seriously!

davidleeroth

QuoteExcept that, unlike US controllers, the SFC controllers are unbelievably short. You have to sit on the floor with the console on the floor two feet away from you to use them. Seriously!
Which is pretty much how it's done in Japan. :)  

Sumez

SNES controller "regions" has always been a mystery to me. Can someone tell me exactly what works?
I have a US SNES with two controllers (even though I sold one of them to a friend)
Both controllers work fine with my PAL SNES. It is a model 2 SNES, but I believe one of the controllers must have been bought seperately? Both are definitely American versions with the crappy blue/purple colors. My European pads work fine with the SNES 2. Both the one that came with my SNES and the one I bought seperately.
What DOESN'T work, and more importantly: why?

phreak97

all cons work on us snes and super famicom.
only euro cons work on the old pal snes
all cons work on the newer pal snes

when nintendo came out with the newer 1-cpu pal snes they for some reason used the super famicom frontplate not the euro one..

hope that clears things up for people

CZroe

QuoteWhat DOESN'T work, and more importantly: why?
The world may never know :(

Sumez

Thanks for finally clearing that up. I'm sure I'm not the only person who's been confused for a long time.
Seems I have a later version SNES, then. :)
I thought so, too.