Genesis Controller Output..

Started by Segasonicfan, March 09, 2004, 06:07:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Segasonicfan

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone knows the color/order sequence to hooking up a 6-button Genesis controller internally to a Genesis/CDx/etc... There are 9 pins and I know what they do thanks to the GameSX page....but where would I connect those 9 wires?  They're color coded which makes things easier...red, yellow, white, brown, blue, green, grey, black, orange.  I would love to hook up a controller internall  by soldering the wires directly to the pins....is there any info out there that could help me do this?

Also, does anyone know the controller pin output for a Nomad?  I know where the A, Start, and Mod Buttons connect....but not the rest.  I wonder If I could  modmy Nomad so that I can use an external controller for 1 Player.  I know that one of the pins has a 5  volt current though...so would this blow anything?   Any help is appreciated...thanks! :)

-Segasonicfan

PS--I think the import Nomad mod might have an error....The mode button works perfectly even after the mod is installed...I tested it today and played Forgotten Worlds which only works with the 3-button set up! :)
MY WEBSITE: https://segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro
I design PCBs for retro game systems :)

NFG

Never rely on wire colours for your mods, companies can (and do) change suppliers all the time so what's the proper colour in one wire won't always match the next.

You can easily track back the button pads in the nomad to the chip and figure out which is which from there.  If this is too hard for you it's time to find another hobby.

You can easily mod a nomad to accept P1 controls through the P2 port, but of course you can't use it for both P1 + P2.

The nomad mod page doesn't have an error, it means you can't use the mode switch without changing regions.  Not like it matters.  =)

Segasonicfan

how can you make the P2 output work for player one controls?  that would be fine as well......I wish there was a pin out guide for the 6-botton controllers on your page, it would be much more useful.  but im not critisizing of course-i love the site.  

The problem with tracing the chip pins  back to the buttons is that some of the traces arent visable (that go under the chip itself).  Ive writting a list of all the pins and where they go except for the directional pad...I have a good guess which pins, but the traces run under the chip so unless i rip it out I cant see.  I looked at my 6 buttons controller and the nomad for a while last night....its interesting to see how they combined the controller so simply into the nomad.  actually, i believe the pins are exactly the same as the 6 button sega controllers....But again, those traces run directly under...so i may have to rip out the chip from my controller to make sure (and get the directional pinouts).

Also, does anyone know how to connect a nomad screen to the PCB?  Its a 70 pin ribbon cable which is near IMPOSSIBLE to solder by hand...is there any other way I can do this?  If I can figure it out, I can salvage another working Nomad.
Also...I wonder if you could hook up a sega CD to a nomad using the expansion port pin out guide?  that would be great...

for now, im focusing on my portable CDX...ill get some pice up when i finish it this weekend-i think you guys will get a kick out of (what i believe to be) the first truly portable Sega CD system :)

-Segasonicfan
MY WEBSITE: https://segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro
I design PCBs for retro game systems :)

NFG

QuoteI have a good guess which pins, but the traces run under the chip so unless i rip it out I cant see.
Use your multimeter.  If you don't have one, buy one.

Isn't the nomad's screen cable clipped to the PCB?  If it's soldered there's no other way than soldering by hand, and unless you're missing an arm it's a pretty easy job.

Mr.saturn

It's sad that you are mad at people for grammar error even though you dont know how to capitalize an I...