Desoldered saturn dodgy ribbon connector ,rewired it ,now fecked

Started by bigsanta, May 06, 2011, 12:00:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigsanta

Following on from my previous topic.
Dodgy jp model 2 va 11 white/grey saturn,cause was down to a faulty 21 pin ffc ribbon cable .Trimmed ,cleaned and reseated ,but still not properly recognised ,so i adjusted the pins on each ffc connector,no difference .

It was a 21 pin ribbon  cable,was being the word.As now,i just removed both the cd cable connector and the one on the main pcb and soldered in a direct connection,using 1mm stranded wire .

But it didn't work :-[ all i get now is no laser action at all(holding the lid switch closed).It goes straight to the big sega saturn screen,then you can hear a sort of quick pff from the tv's speakers (like when you short a connection on a speaker wire)and then there's just a black screen .The reset button has no reset action.

But if i remove the 4 pin connector to the left,then when i turn on the saturn,it goes straight to the bios screen/music player and the left cube is huge and red ,but the right cube is green ,but looks i bit bigger than normal!Still no action on the laser,both movement or any laser light !

I have checked my solder job for continuity and they're all ok ,(pin 1 goes to 1 ,2 to 2 etc )but location 9 and 14 on the laser assembly (ex ribbon connector) show that they are connected,so i don't know if that's supposed to be that way.Also,my wires are about 10" long ,incase the wire length effects the signals .The wire i used reads about 1 ohm,but the original ffc reads about.1 ohms .I've also  been over both boards and cleaned away any bits of fine crap with a toothbrush ,specifically the soldered areas.

Next i'm going to use an old ATA cable ,as i can't believe the console is completely borked,yet .Can the wire i use effect the working.(length etc )?