Help needed: SCART to 1080

Started by SignOfZeta, March 18, 2011, 02:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SignOfZeta

Can anyone point me to a schematic for how to make a SCART to RGB cable for the Commodore 1084?

Despite how many people seem to be using this display for games via RGB, its surprisingly hard to find this info.

Just to clarify: I have multiple consoles with SCART cables and a US spec 1084. My attempts to make a cable have failed utterly with all consoles. There is no out of sync image, there is no image whatsoever with any console. The monitor works perfectly with composite video, but I don't have an Amiga to verify that the RGB in actually works. I'm pretty sure it does, but I've never seen it.

I'm in the US, so I have very very few ways of using or testing anything related to 15kHz RGB. Actually, since my XRGB2+ is broken and there isn't anything within 1000 miles with an actual SCART socket on it this 1084 is the only display I have that will both take RGB and sync to 15kHz. Actually, that's not true. I also have a GBS 8220, but that f-ing thing is so picky that not getting a signal on it doesn't mean much (ie: Neo and Saturn are perfect, everything else just sucks). This shouldn't be very hard, but evidently I'm very bad at this. :)

To add to the confusion, the whole daisy chain-ability of SCART confuses me. The fact that the "video" lines have ins and outs but the R, G, and B don't. The separate grounds...I just need to know which pins go to what other pins and I'd be very grateful for some help. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: changed title to reflect actual model of monitor (its a 1080, not a 1084)

bigsanta

Right then,first ,we need to know the exact model of the 1084 ,as there are many versions e.g 1084s-d ,1084-d ,1084-p .So just look on the back of the monitor and you should find the exact model number.

SignOfZeta

I can't find any model number on the monitor at all. I have the box though, and it just says "1080". Its mono and has no digital RGB port. Made on 1985.

EDIT: it does take digital RGB, but through the same port as analog (switchable).

bigsanta

http://gona.atw.hu/Commodore/monitor/Commodore_monitors_by_model_number.html

There's pictures of just about every commodore monitor released ,look for the one which is yours .

SignOfZeta

Quote from: bigsanta on March 24, 2011, 05:55:25 AM
http://gona.atw.hu/Commodore/monitor/Commodore_monitors_by_model_number.html

There's pictures of just about every commodore monitor released ,look for the one which is yours .

OK, I just checked that page (nice!) and I have a 1080, not a 1084. Not sure why I thought I did...

bigsanta

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16337
This has the needed pinout for your monitor .Follow the Posts by FATBOY !The view of the FEMALE connector ,(the cable)this is a view from looking into the socket side(not the soldered side).So when you solder your 9 pin female connector,wire it exactly like the picture of the monitor's wiring and that should be the end of your problems . 

SignOfZeta

OK, tonight I had some time to mess with this again and things are looking much better.

I had the pinout right all along on the 1080 side, my problem was mismatched on the SCART side. I never did find a good description of how to wire the SCART side but I figured it out by taking the shroud off my Mega Drive SCART cable and just following the wires. There were two problems: a) I had the sync in the wrong spot and b) the person who made the SCART cable only used one ground, and it was the one for audio. That was only ground I didn't hook up since I'm concentrating on video right now. :)

With the Genesis I got an actual image now, its just really unstable. When I have Sonic 2 in the "SEGA" screen is perfect but things go all funhouse once actual gameplay begins.

When I hook the Saturn up the image is PERFECT.

This is the same thing that happens with my GBS 8820 line doubler (ie: Saturn is perfect, MD is garbled) so I assume I can fix the situation in both setups with a LM1881. Parts are on the way.