Previous topic - Next topic

siamese

this is the scenario:

megadrive 1    (PAL) modded with 50/60 hz switch
mega cd    2    (PAL) this one is standard
megadrive 32x (PAL) this was supposed to correct b/w video to color
TV set           (NTSC) only gets b/w video from the above monster

read at segaxtreme that 32x was able to correct b/w video from a
modded pal megadrive. the author, tried with a megadrive 2 (PAL) modded with 50/60 hz switch and a megadrive 32x (PAL) using a PAL (60 hz) tv set got color :o

please HELP!

is it true that PAL (60 hz) is just false NTSC
if  I fit a sega genesis 2 console with a 60/50 hz switch, will it do the trick of fooling the mega cd and allow me to run my pal games?
would it be easier if i burn the whole pile up? :blink:  

eggplant_casserole

OK...

PAL 60Hz is a PAL signal at 60Hz as opposed to 50Hz.. its nothing like a NTSC signal, and there are lots of differences.

The 50/60Hz switch DOESN'T fool the lockout chip in even the Mega Drive.  The PAL/NTSC switch does this ;)  The 50/60Hz switch makes the game run faster/slower in NTSC or PAL.  

The Mega CD has its own lockout too.  If you wanna play your PAL games on it, put in a PAL BIOS chip... or there was a cart for Mega Drive by Datel that worked sometimes... good luck finding one, they're rather scarce now!

Sounds to me like the guy was using his Mega Drive through RF (well yeah, obviously it won't be Colour NTSC through RF... although mine does that  ;) ) and then switched to RGB through the 32X... well duh of course that's gonna be better!!!

If you're the other way round (NTSC playing in PAL setting), make sure your TV will accept a PAL signal or you'll get black and white!  Most US TVs don't have RGB, but if you do use an RGB lead, its far better.

siamese

QuoteSounds to me like the guy was using his Mega Drive through RF (well yeah, obviously it won't be Colour NTSC through RF... although mine does that  ;) )
the original author used an megadrive to 32x standard connector
and an original megadrive2 rf unit to connect TV set

seems you already made it and it worked.

that's what i'm trying to do

would you kindly help me with this task, is there any hidden trick
i need to perform? :wacko:

thank you very much

AntiPasta

QuoteThe 50/60Hz switch DOESN'T fool the lockout chip in even the Mega Drive. The PAL/NTSC switch does this

Errrrr.... AFAIK, the Megadrive doesnt have separate switches for 50/60hz and PAL/NTSC. As a matter of fact, the 50/60 switch ALSO acts as a EU/US switch.