N64 Gamebit screw problem!

Started by Jon (soon to be ZipZapPro), March 03, 2004, 07:29:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon (soon to be ZipZapPro)

Okay, big problem! I wanna modify almost all of my consols. Anyways, I want to start with my N64 because I have 2 of those and one of everything else! Anyways, I wanna clean it and add some LEDs, paint the consol, and maybe even add new demensions (add putty to make it have wings! :P ) ! But it has custom screws! Some say to melt a pen top but it just won't work! I need help! What am I doing wrong! Should I just paint it and leave it at that!

Also, I want to know if anyone has a picture of when they take of the top of a PS2. Someone said there is a wire that will break! :( I wanna paint the top and clean the vents in my PS2....no moding until PS3! :D  

ZipZapPro

Oh come on guys! I really need to know how to open with out buying any stupid $15 screw driver! <_< How did you paint yours and add leds then?

Also, I wanna know the best site for custom consoles (PS2, GAMECUBE, anything!)
RTFM <--WTF!

NFG

You may just find that people who mod consoles buy the tools they need.  Shoving melted Bics into your console isn't fun, and most other hacks are for emergencies only.  Spend the money, live happy.

ZipZapPro

QuoteYou may just find that people who mod consoles buy the tools they need.  Shoving melted Bics into your console isn't fun, and most other hacks are for emergencies only.  Spend the money, live happy.
well, i did get one out but the othrs are in deep holes...hard to get! anywho, should I just paint it or keep on trying? I am not getting a $15 screw driver for 2 timnes! ;)

Lesmot

Even if your main goal is to just to paint, I'd still buy one of the game bits. You can get just the 4.5mm bit, which you could use with any of your own tools, for as little as $4-5, the only downfall is the shipping, usually twice the cost of the bit itself, though still cheaper than the tool. You should take all the little plastic bits and slots and paint them all individually, it will come out looking far better. = Probably. . .
Hey there, fancy pants!

ZipZapPro

QuoteEven if your main goal is to just to paint, I'd still buy one of the game bits. You can get just the 4.5mm bit, which you could use with any of your own tools, for as little as $4-5, the only downfall is the shipping, usually twice the cost of the bit itself, though still cheaper than the tool. You should take all the little plastic bits and slots and paint them all individually, it will come out looking far better. = Probably. . .
Oh well, I guess I'll start looking for some paint! I decided I'll just do It by hand.
I kinda changed my mind on color and stuff. I am gonna take my dremel and drill in the words PSN (Playstation Nintendo!) And put a sony logo in place of the nintendo in the front! I did that with my radio last night (PSR for Playstation Radio!) So I will NOT be painting my PS2 totally! All I want now is the PS2 wording in orange!  :lol:  

Robert Ivy

Quick! Somebody help these poor mistreated consoles!!

Put down the drill!!! Put it down!!!!

Andreas

Hi!

Check one of my galleries at Swedens biggest page of hardware:

http://galleri.sweclockers.com/galleri_vis...p?chassi_id=835

As you can see on the third picture, I have modified a normal screw-driver into a screw-driver which fits the nintendo screws!

//Andreas

ZipZapPro

QuoteHi!

As you can see on the third picture, I have modified a normal screw-driver into a screw-driver which fits the nintendo screws!

//Andreas
Mind writing a tutorial because I can't read Sweedish! <_<  

Andreas

QuoteHi!

//Andreas
Mind writing a tutorial because I can't read Sweedish! <_<
Well... what to say? :P

"Put away" the red markings on a normal flat screw driver:

If it doesn't fit, just put away some more. I don't have any specific measurements, so you'll have to custom made it. But it works! :)

//Andreas

Yes Yes Yes!!!
The solution!!

:P Making a snes-pc adapter I was forced to hacksaw the front of an old snes to get at the controller ports :s
Wish I'd figured that out myself :D
mayhem

I used a deepwell 4.5mm socket  and a little muscle to open up my turbo duo, snes and n64. after i got them unscrewed i then notched the screws with my dremmel. however, that will not work on the game cube, as the holes are too deep.

MAdmaxJH26

Well I was able to make my own screwdriver for the N64 screws thanks to the info posted in here... now I have the problem of the blue LED.... I bought a super bright LED and when I got it in... it is very dim. I noticed the LED is a little bigger than the one that came in there...... I'm not sure how much voltage this LED needs to be its brightest. Unfortunately blue LED's are very hard to find around where I live... and the place I bought mine only had the type I bought in stcok. (They were out of a different one that was blue as well.)So my question is does anyone know how I can hook this LED up to maybe a different power source that has more power? So any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Lesmot

what is the rated mcd of the lcd? common lcds are 3.3v and 5mm. the mcd determines the intensity, but also can effect the viewing angle. you could use the right resistor and run the lcd you have into an alternate power supply in the n64, but if you purchase a lcd that is close to the n64 output, it will be way easier for you. i think the n64 is 3.3v and 5mm, just your standard lcd. im not positive on that though. look on the board and order a lcd online that matches.
Hey there, fancy pants!

CZroe

I buy both varieties from Radio Shack and test each before soldering. It works! ;)

CZroe

ZipZap: You are supposed to use a Bic ClearStic™ pen with the really thick and brittle plastic.

mokeface

Hello I'm new to this forum and modding but I've done a few LED changes in the past. Any way I saw this and had to add my input, I bought the "Gamebit" screw driver at SEARS in the tool section! Yes believe me or not, here�s what it is:

The screwdriver says: �PROFESSIONAL 5/32X2-1/2 USA 41866"
It is black with a green top and only $2.99
Now it�s not perfect but I could get my GCN and N64 apart in about 2 minutes each.

grey

Gamebits really aren't that hard to come by.  While ncsx.com will sell them at a bit of a premium, and Lawrence has at one time or another had some really choice high quality Japanese made -drivers- I came across some (and many more) for $9.95 in a 101 bit collection at a local hardware shop.  Not only does it have gamebits, it has that weird tri-bit that the gameboy uses, tons of security torx, and a bunch of other crap.  I'm sure most hardware shops would have something similar, maybe?  Look for the cheap as many bits as possible made in China type sets.

Not exactly high quality, but arguably about the same as the ones I bought from NCS years before and about the same price for a lot more.  I actually bought the set just to have a random assortment, and was surprised to find it had more obscure things that tend to fetch unneccessary premiums.

Endymion

You can get a set of two gamebits on ebay for less than ten bucks. Then use one of those multi-head removable screwdrivers that you have laying around the house or for all of five buckaroos at a hardware store and you're set. :)

okay to open your ps2 u need to figure out if u have a version 1 or 2
to decide u count how many tabs are on the bott of the system.
version one has one in each corner and two extra in between the four + 2 extra located on the lip of the system
pop all the taps off with ur fingernail the n remove the screws remember where they go!!!!!!!!!
carefuly flip over the ps2 and remove the top cver removing the fanside first and tilting it towarrds the memmorey card slotsand slide it off
[SIZE=14]read this before removing the top
lift the lid  up slightly there should be a ribbon remove the tape securing it to the cd driveand lay the top cover on it back next to the system like so
------------------          .-----------------.                              
                     .          .                     .                
                     .          .                     .              
----------------- .==== .-----------------.                              

sorry about the picture
next remove the reset and open buttons from the top shell
next remove the two screws holding down the controller port pull up on them and they should just come right off

flip over the ps2 and remove the back cover
THERE YA GONOW UR PS2 SHELL IIS READY TO BE PAINTED OR WHATEVERASK ME IF U NEED ANYTHING ELSE