20GB PS3 dropped... no video

Started by CZroe, January 19, 2011, 04:50:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CZroe

My brother got a cheap PS3 for parts. The previous owner says that his girlfriend disconnected it completely and then dropped it when they were arguing. I see no cracks or physical damage other than a scratch across the bottom, which is common on "never dropped" PS3s as well due to the piano black finish and the low clearance (just push it across your shelf and the bottom can get scratched). I assume that the BD laser is fine and the drop did not trigger a typical YLOD/RLOD error so I doubt a reflow or reball of the CPU/GPU BGA packages will fix it. The video reset procedure does not help (still no video through multi-out or HDMI). You can tell that it boots up seemingly fine by watching the HDD and disc/power indicators. Unlike a YLOD or RROD, you can load and eject discs just fine. I see other PS3s online with the same symptoms (dropped and no video) with none reporting that a reflow worked, so I don't think that's even worth trying. Because this also seems to be a common error (only the YLOD/RLOD and BD laser seem more common), I'd like to find a fix to share. Does anyone have any ideas?

KeepGood

Can you get any audio out of the system?

CZroe

Quote from: KeepGood on February 19, 2011, 02:51:35 PM
Can you get any audio out of the system?
Probably, but not through HDMI. I'll check.